Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate

by Whynot 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Whynot
    Whynot

Did anyone else watch the Bill Nye versus Ken Ham debate? It happened February 4, 2014 and just watched it a few months ago.

I thought it was interesting but must confess that I felt extremely embarrassed for Ken Ham. His arguments were pretty weak but Bill Nye really did present his arguments very well. Ken Ham stubbornly stuck to the young earth argument. Even Bill Nye told him that a lot creationists he knows don't take the Genesis account so literal.

I still believe in creation but I must say that Bill Nye sparked a curiosity in me to look into evolution further. So far I find it very intriguing. So I want to keep an open mind.

• blownaway
    blownaway

Ken Ham is setting the bar low and Bill is not a scientist. He is an engineer. He is one of the worst speakers and debaters I have seen. Just to let anyone know I am not sticking up for ham I am an atheist. But Nye is a bit of an asshat.

• Whynot
    Whynot

Bill definitely could have done better. I'm not a fan of everything he does. I don't understand why he doesn't go ahead and get his degree and become an actual scientist.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

If you saw the Bill Nye documentary, you would see that he did not have the support of the atheists that were protesting Ham's "Ark project" because it would only lend credibility to Ham.

And they were right.

Once the debate was over, contributions to Ham increased dramatically, allowing him to fund his bullshit further.

I like Bill Nye, but that was a serious misstep on his part.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Bill Nye, the (Gender) Science Denier Guy.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Bill Nye is a science educator. Not a scientist. Throwing shade at him because he doesn't have his Masters in the sciences is ABSURD.

More importantly, we define a scientist as someone who conducts research and publishes scientific findings. NOT as someone who has a degree in science.

For example, Albert Einstein didn't have a degree in science - but he was still a scientist.

Bill Nye is an amazing Engineer who helped design parts of the Boeing 747, is an active member of the Planetary Society, and holds at least three US patents for his personal designs. Don't listen to the haters. Bill Nye is more the capable of taking on an idiot like Ken Ham.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

I've seen Bill Nye lie about science when the facts were inconvenient. I'm not talking about opinion/belief differences, I mean flat out lies. Same goes for Neil deGrasse Tyson so I'll agree to the asshat assessment for both.

And Einstein.. He was more of a theorist than anything. Better than Nye for sure but still leaving much to be desired of a person to be called scientist. He appropriated much of others' work and still gets the credit to this day while still holding us back about a full century. At least he started to back-pedal on some of the nonsense in his later years but alas the damage is done.

Ahh the sad state of science. It would be funny if it weren't so truly awful.

• Jayk
    Jayk
    I feel Bill Nye sold out. After watching the first episode of his recent netflix series I knew he is a globalist puppet.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    "sold out" . . . "globalist puppet"

Bill Nye has a very long and well documented history of standing up for the things he believes in. The things he's advocating for today are the same things he's been advocating for the past 30 years ago.

Don't listen to the haters. The only reason they don't like Nye is because they don't want to have to change their behavior. They don't want to be reminded all the time that they are polluting and destroying our planet and completely ruining our kids futures.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Code logic, I'm not a hater but the only reason I don't like Bill Nye is because of his asshattery as specified in my previous comment - that is to say intentional deception and lying. He also has a bad attitude towards people who don't agree with him. Unless you are willing to say that he's just going senile, in which case I feel bad for him.

Its sad to see public science figures lie about science and look down on people who don't agree with everything they say. That's not science, that's cult behavior. Neil does it too. I wonder if Einstein was like that... I doubt it though.

And I'm not talking about pollution or climate change or god etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit