Ritualistic behaviour within the JW faith

by stuckinarut2 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I was thinking about how the Society criticises other faiths such as Catholics because of their ritualistic procedures.

But couldn't it be said that Witnesses have their own deeply ritualistic behaviours?

Think about the Prayers said at meetings. They all have to follow the same basic style and theme, and include the same basic content.

What about the ritualistic procedures of the memorial, and the passing of emblems - even to the servers and speaker (although they actually handle them more than everyone, they do their own special act of passing them to each other)

Can you think of more examples of ritualistic behaviours amongst witnesses?

• Chook
    Chook

The chairman had to introduce each part member of meeting schedule. As if we needed to be told billy was getting up to chant.

• careful
    careful

The official line, of course, is they don't have any ritualistic behaviors, but they certainly do. The Memorial is probably the first to come to mind (heavy on ritual), but the monthly turning in of field service is a far more common one, with elders tapping people on their shoulders and calling them on the phone, then tabulating all the stats and sending them off to the branch. Every month it's the same thing.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

That silly ritual of passing the emblems back and forward to the speaker and servers always bothered me. I tried many times as an Elder to try and stop it, but was always overruled by the majority!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Can you think of more examples of ritualistic behaviours amongst witnesses?

You can spot a JW adolescent in a crowd from miles away because of the way they dress and behave.

• stillin
    stillin

The scurrying to the seats as the chairman stands at the microphone. The handshakes being passed around as though you are receiving a warm welcome (which is just pretend) Even some of the well-timed songs sound ritualistic.

Doubtful, I have seen some Memorial speakers just put their hand up before the emblem comes to them, as if to say, "no, thanks. Not me." I did appreciate the break from the ritual

• eva luna
    eva luna

I agree stuckinarut2

There is a superstitious quality to it too.

That is also something that they describe Catholics as being.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It's subtle, but it's there if you know where to look.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

Chanting: "Get out of here Satan, in Jesus' name!" Whenever a JW hears an unexplained sound or the electricity shorts out.

• George One Time
    George One Time

The chorus that we now have at special meetings. Do they really want to look like the other churches?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit