Blood: Article about director of Atlanta's Emory Center for Ethics facing a contorversial decision involving a 17-year-old JW

by AndersonsInfo 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/health/emorys-center-for-ethics-faces-some-of-the-most-complex-and-controversial-issues-in-modern-medicine/

Emory Center for Ethics director faces some of the most complex—and controversial—issues in medicine Paul Root Wolpe and his team think through the tough questions brought about by medical advances

January 28, 2016 Tony Rehagen

"The surgeon didn’t know what to do. He was scheduled to perform a risky operation on a 17-year-old patient who was also a Jehovah’s Witness, a religion that forbids blood infusions. Prior to the surgery, the young man’s parents had signed a document refusing blood during the course of the procedure—no matter what might happen. In their presence, the son had verbally agreed.

"However, in the days leading up to the operation, with his mom and dad out of the room, the young patient had made a quick, cryptic comment to the surgeon: It is against my religion to receive blood, he had reminded the doctor. But I want you to know that my religion states that if you were to give me blood without my knowledge, it would not imperil my eternal soul.

"Was the boy saying that he wanted the doctor to act against the family’s written wishes? The surgeon felt a moral obligation to preserve his patient’s life, having taken a Hippocratic oath to “do no harm.” But should he accept the boy’s seemingly tacit permission?"

--

"In the case of the Jehovah’s Witness, Wolpe explained to the surgeon that the parents’ written consent legally obligated him to withhold blood. But given the boy’s declaration, Wolpe helped the doctor determine that if the operation took a turn for worse, his own moral imperative to save a life would take precedence." - See more at:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/health/emorys-center-for-ethics-faces-some-of-the-most-complex-and-controversial-issues-in-modern-medicine/#sthash.xkb35vw2.dpuf

• cha ching
    cha ching
    It's nice to hear the voice of logic in a very conflicted world. Thx Barbara!
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for that today. I am often confronted with the ethics questions that have no easy answers, but have not had to face them in a life-and-death situation. Reading these things helps me.

In that particular situation, I know the correct answer is to educate the boy that doing the bidding of idiots running a dangerous cult is the problem and that he wouldn't lose his supposed ticket to eternity by breaking the rules. But I also know it's not likely that seeking that correct answer will lead to success.

Funny how the boy has mainly learned that being a JW means looking for loopholes in the rules.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    JWs as so proud of youths who take a stand for their faith at the peril of their life. Sadly though, many of these children are only parroting their parents words out of ignorance or by fear of displeasing them. One of these youth died in my arms after a long fight with cancer. At 15 he refused all blood products which prevented the doctors to use a more aggressive approach to fight the disease. His parents were so proud...now that I am awake I can no longer understand how a parent won't do anything possible to save his child. I just couldn't live with sich doubts.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Since when has a professed JW expressed belief in an "eternal soul"?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

It's not just teenagers doing this among JWs. Adult JWs do the same thing.

• steve2
    steve2

"However, in the days leading up to the operation, with his mom and dad out of the room, the young patient had made a quick, cryptic comment to the surgeon: It is against my religion to receive blood, he had reminded the doctor. But I want you to know that my religion states that if you were to give me blood without my knowledge, it would not imperil my eternal soul.

"Was the boy saying that he wanted the doctor to act against the family’s written wishes? The surgeon felt a moral obligation to preserve his patient’s life, having taken a Hippocratic oath to “do no harm.” But should he accept the boy’s seemingly tacit permission?"

Allowing for the high likelihood that the surgeon is not precisely quoting the youth (who is quoted as mentioning his "eternal soul" which is definitely not a JW concept/belief), I would have thought this was an excellent opportunity for the surgeon to gently encourage the 17-year-old to talk some more and actually ask him to elaborate. Even without elaboration, the youth virtually gave the surgeon permission. I guess the conundrum is the surgeon needing some verifiable permission, because if the parents found out (even if the surgical outcome was postive), they could sue the surgeon and the medical establishment.

Besides, in most juridsdictions, 16 is the age of consent.

Also, I agree with Marvin that adult JWs do the same - but very privately because of the awareness that it needs to be out of the prying eyes and ears of the elders' hospital "committees".

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

It is against my religion - i mean, the religion my parents have forced upon me - to receive blood.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit