Churches criticized for accepting donations via credit card- W75 11/1

by krismalone 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• krismalone
    krismalone
    The phrase “pray now, pay later” appeared in a headline of the Philadelphia “Inquirer” in reporting on a church experiment due to go into effect shortly. A group of ten U.S. religions, including some major Lutheran, Episcopal, Methodist and Baptist denominations, have decided to try church collections by credit card.

w75 11/1 p. 651 - The Watchtower—1975

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe Watchtower should stop publishing the WT ,because what they say in that magazine keeps coming back to bite them in the arse.

If I remember correctly they criticized the churches back then for doing so ,and later down the track they must have had second thoughts and told Jehovah it was a great idea.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    smiddy - Maybe Watchtower should stop publishing the WT

I think to some degree they have already have.

That won't stop them condemning with their filthy lies themselves in the future though.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Meh.

They're always about twenty or so years behind Christendom's curve.

:smirk:

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

w71 8/15 p. 505

Certain clergymen in the New York area are very businesslike about the matter. They send out monthly statements to their parishioners reminding them of the amount they owe their church. And one Congregational preacher in Vermont was reported in the press as having installed a credit-card machine inside the front door for those who would prefer to contribute by this means. Ever so many churches either require or encourage their members to tithe, that is, to give to their church a tenth of their income.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Insight on the News

“Pray Now, Pay Later”

● The phrase “pray now, pay later” appeared in a headline of the Philadelphia “Inquirer” in reporting on a church experiment due to go into effect shortly. A group of ten U.S. religions, including some major Lutheran, Episcopal, Methodist and Baptist denominations, have decided to try church collections by credit card. The experiment, sponsored by the National Council of Churches, will encourage participating church members to authorize credit-card transfers of a specified contribution to their church each month. The idea, a Council spokesman says, is that “this will provide the local church with regular income whether or not the local congregation is in attendance,” especially in “off-seasons,” like summer vacation time. The report on the experiment says that those joining the program will be “giving unto business what belongs to business​—a profit.” How so? “Participating banks will charge 65 cents a transaction, and the credit card companies will rake off 3 percent of every donation.” Obviously someone benefits, but how much spiritual benefit is the modern churchgoer getting?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

WT pay 3٪? Surely they have an angle.

As for the rest, a debit is a usual way to handle money now. The spiritual benefit is as great or greater in churches. There is an argument that the small local outfit needs support for ehatever community good they do. My donations go locally only to support what my wife receives.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

They call good what they once condamned as bad:
    NOVEMBER 2 5–DECEMBER 1
    Jehovah Loves a Cheerful Giver
    At 2 Corinthians 9:7, we are told: “Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” Today we have convenient options to make online donations to support the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses, both locally and worldwide.

How can we access the donation information page to find the
    donation options that are available in our country?

How have some benefited from making donations electronically?

What are some donation methods?

What can we do if we do not understand how to use these new
    electronic tools?

Of course the VERY BEST alternative is the one I use...NEVER GIVE THESE GREEDY BASTARDS A CENT!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Another incidence of the WTS putting its own foot in its mouth,

The WTS/JWorg has the same active credit card donations operation established on its JWorg. web site and actually have ATM machines at many of their Assembly Halls.

$$$

They ask children to give up their candy money, so they will accept cash given at the Kingdom Halls.

This is Jah's loving arrangement

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I remember being at a two day local assembly after finding out that the WT was not what they said they were. I said to my ex friend witness, "Pretty soon they are going to be like the money changers in the temple and let you use a credit card" My ex friend kinda laughed (in that "I don't want to know the truth" way) and said "Well that's a good thing because sometimes I don't have the money on me or a check"

What did I see the very next assembly? Money changers in the lobby. One brother manning the credit card charger had a sheepish smile on his face which said it all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit