Translators left without guidance!?

by anointed1 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anointed1
    anointed1

If good news is to be preached in all nations, translation becomes a must, and translating is as important as original writing. Hence logically speaking, God should ensure that translation of the Bible is done with utmost care. But evidence suggests that God showed no interest in translation.

Here is one example of Luke 23:43. This is very significant in view of the importance of the subject:

The Curetonian Gospels read "Today I tell you that you will be with me in paradise", whereas the Sinaitic Palimpsest reads "I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise". Likewise the two earliest Greek codices with punctuation disagree: Codex Vaticanus has a pause mark in the original ink after 'today', whereas Codex Alexandrinus has the "today in paradise" reading.

• smiddy
    smiddy

So that translation belief interpretation all comes down to a comma.that defines what one believes.

And people believe that Gods Holy Spirit is responsible for the Bible ?

• naja
    naja

... after all it was not a very intelligent decision to confuse the languages at the Tower of Babel.

• kepler
    kepler

Anointed 1,

Suggest that you look at some of the discussions we had on this board several years back. This passage was a particularly significant one for me. It sealed my fate.

WDK

• kepler
    kepler

Sorry. Got interrupted.

I did a study of all the instances of "truly I say to you" and then a case in Acts in which Paul actually swears to do something. When you look at the Greek, you know why it is translated the way it is: to justify the a priori theology.

• Magnum
    Magnum

kepler, if you can find some of those discussions, would you please post links? Also, may I ask what your conclusion is as to the way it should be translated?

anointed1, I agree about translation. Good point.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Translators left without guidance!?

In WatchTower World..

As long as the translation of the Bible backs up the Watchtower..

There is no problem..

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Didn't the Org just cancel a half-dozen or so language translations (of their publications)?

• kepler
    kepler

Magnum,

This one went on for a while. I am still looking for the concordance based arguments I pulled together.

It might be in this topic or another. But it's a start.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/240288/one-silly-little-comma-wt-idiocy

• kepler

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit