Random Thoughts on Getting Older

by Lee Elder 16 Replies latest jw friends

• never a jw
    never a jw

Time to look for Biblical guidance:

So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun. Ecclesiastes 8:15

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I guess as you get less of something, it's value increases......Simon

You make a good point..

That`s why JW`s have so little value for their present life and waste the lives they have now..

The WBT$ has promised them an infinite supply of life..

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Mortality bites. I don't know if being an aging former JW from birth makes turning 50 all the more disconcerting or not, but sometimes there is a quality of unreality to it. Which is insane since I've known the religion is false for a long time. It's just so ingrained in my psyche-like I keep waiting to hear that there is some kind of "out" so that this whole thing (life) won't reach the inevitable conclusion-death. But it will, and it makes me sad that my mom watched everyone she loved die and is facing it herself after fully buying into the lie all her life. How much more poignant is her experience as she is facing 3/4 of a century? Getting old sucks so it is no wonder people buy into the pretty lie, right?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I keep waiting to hear that there is some kind of "out" so that this whole thing (life) won't reach the inevitable conclusion-death

This resonated with me. I'm so used to being able to find a solution for everything. All problems are matched with a possible solution, but this does not have one - it's simply an unavoidable reality that we are utterly powerless in face of this problem.

Or is it? The fact is that there is probably a solution. Science. You see at some point, the flu offered the nearly same unavoidable collision with our end, until we found that solution as well.

We are just too early for this. 2016, or 2056 is probably not the lucky number, but it's not out of the realm of reality that in 500 years from now ( if we don't kill ourselves, which we might), that the ability to regenerate ourselves has advanced so much, that the real problem will be how stop births and not death.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LEE ELDER:

When I started my "fade" sixteen or so years ago, the first thing I did was to rid myself of the JW religion's promises about "no death". I felt their paradise earth teaching was a cruel trick to play on my brain. I made peace with the eventuality that faces us ALL..

I do not NEED bullshit lies and false hope from a stupid religion just seeking to string followers along.

Now, the hypocrites are using a new phrase of: "getting into the new system the underground way". Which means they are all dying. I wonder if they are slowly abandoning their stupid "paradise" teaching?

OUTLAW:

You make a good point. The reason the JWs think so little of the present life they have now is because the religion has promised them an infinite supply of it later.

The problem is the religion is not the one who is going to have to make good on this "promise". Somebody else has to.

Liars. Glad I stopped buying this B.S. ages ago.

• LV101
    LV101

I observe and chat with some of the dementia/alzheimer residents where my mother is. It's so sad - many just stare with a total blank look - one keeps saying her husband is out taking care of something then she looks around for her dog from previous yrs. One lady's cat of 19 yrs. had to be euthanized and when told (lied to) her cat would return after it's yearly vet's visit point blank told the care attendant that she was lying to her -- she knew the truth.

I'm not sure all of them are aware they're in life's final days -- some do and must be traumatized with any brain cell activity at all. Most can't even stay awake very long and fall over to slump positions on the sofas or their wheel chairs - they're bodies/minds are ready to expire but must wait to terminate. One horrifying situation as much as I realize it's the cycle of life.

The winter of life is brutal -- late fall/60's+ tough enough!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm chiming in at 63!

Yeah getting older makes you take a closer look at death and sickness and all the things that come with getting older. I think about both sets of grandparents more and what they went through facing the grim reaper.

On a positive note: I think a lot about my childhood and see how first learned things and how my ideas have changed and matured with the passing of time and better understandings. Sorta a review and make sense of the whole experience thing going on with me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit