Will the Borg ever do what the WCG did?

by tornapart 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

Whilst not endorsing any of the beliefs or doctrines of this group I found it really interesting that once Herbert Armstrong died it had a major overhaul of it's beliefs and practices (very similar in a cultish way to JWs). Apologising for it's errors and putting things right. It became less judgemental, more encompassing of other christian faiths. Putting more emphasis on love and forgiveness than obeying rules. Dumping all the millenialist stuff and in the process losing thousands of members. Now it's more mainstream christianity. It just got me to wondering, what if this happened to the WT? Only trouble is, the WT seems to be getting more hardline and delusional every year.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read the article it's here

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    They would rather it crash and burnt to the ground rather than admit they are wrong.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    They'd never survive the transition, IMO.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Won't happen.

Doc

• tornapart
    tornapart
    I think you're right....
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

My first reaction was No Way, they are far too arrogant.

But then it occurred to me that they may be tempted to do something along those lines in the future, but it will not be sincere or truthful. No, they will make it appear that they have ditched "Old Light" in a big way, whilst introducing more crap.

They may have to do this as the incremental introduction of Noo Lite is beginning to look so silly.

• naazira
    naazira
    I have often thought of this myself, but after WCG became Grace Communion International and strayed from Herbert Armstrong's teachings many divisions occurred. Those who wanted to stick with the original teachings formed their own congregations and they are aired on my local TV stations. So if this were to happen to the Watchtower, there would probably be a liberal Jehovah's Witness Movement and a "Restored" Jehovah's Witness movement aka conservative cult like.
  • talesin
    talesin
    Nope.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Can I answer your question with a question? LOL!

How many times have you ever heard of an Elder apologizing for wrongdoing, or for "stumbling" someone?

Yes, the WTBTS likes to have official articles that warn Elders of hurting the flock, ( probably for legal CYA ) but when something actually happens, are the Elders ever held to that standard? Is the problem ever their fault, even at the local level?

I have personally never witnessed, or heard of an Elder apologizing to a non-Elder. The men with leadership positions in the WTBTS are all Elders who have come up through the ranks. The older GB still love the story of the "humble" brother who was verbally abused by Rutherford. The brother did not want to talk to Rutherford ( who we all know was a heavy-drinking, legalistic, bombastic, authoritarian with delusions of grandeur ) because his feelings were hurt by Rutherford's non-tactful, unloving manner.

Did Rutherford apologize? Is that the heartwarming story passed along to this day? The story of how Rutherford stopped what he was doing, placed his hands upon one brother's shoulders, looked him in the eye and said, "I am so incredibly sorry to what I said to you. That was unacceptable. Do you think you could forgive me?", will NEVER be told. On the other hand, the story of "Satan" the magical spirit lion, stalking a brother and hardening his heart against the anointed one of Jehovah lives on.

A massive failure caused by the WTBTS's cumulative behavior would have to take place for any reform to occur. The ORG as we know it would have to die for any meaningful change to take place. Will that ever happen?

DD

• alcyone
    alcyone

Unfortunately WCG was in different setup than WTS.

WCG was led by one person (Armstrong) and when he died it caused disruption in the organization's course. There was a new leadership (Tkach) that replaced the previous one. So J. Tkach was able to change their path. He was an absolute monarch.

In contrast to WCG, WTS will not go through such disruption when a GB member dies. The politbyro simply appoints a new one and the rest of the GB continues to rule. If WTS is still one-man show as in the Rutherford era, probability new Caesar can make big changes would be much higher. They are now not able to make rapid / big changes comparable to what autocrats Rutherford & Knorr did when they took power.

If the whole GB dies at one moment, then it would be a different story...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit