Australia - Brisbane Times: Authorities ignored Gold Coast photographer's child sex crimes

by AndersonsInfo 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think their are so many indoctrinated JW`s that they are thinking to disclose these problems would be to bring reproach on Jehovahs name.,and so they will keep quite about it and keep it in-house,and not divulge it to the appropiate authorities .

However its really just pushing the dirt under the carpet

• steve2
    steve2

I think their are so many indoctrinated JW`s that they are thinking to disclose these problems would be to bring reproach on Jehovahs name.,and so they will keep quite about it and keep it in-house,and not divulge it to the appropiate authorities .

In large part I agree Smiddy - but I think it is a bit more "convoluted" than purposely keeping it "in house".

JWs as a group are extremely conservative - especially when it comes to sexual abuse within the congregation - so I don't think rank and file members purposefully keep it in-house but more a case of their not even explicitly realizing they can - and should - report it to authorities.

That's why during the ARC when JW elders said, "We don't stop anyone from going to the authorities" they revealed how (deliberately) unaware they are of the power of their role in providing accurate information to parents that they can report it to authorities if they so choose.

We know enough about ignorance to know people often don't know what they don't know and do depend on those they look up to to provide guidance and direction - especially in high-control organizations such as JWs.

During the ARC, one JW elder reported he had been on a committee that had disfellowshipped a fellow JW who admitted sexually abusing children within the congregation.

Angus Stewart then asked, Who else knew about what this man had done? Did you warn any parents about this man?"

The elder answered that yes, he had warned some "close friends" of his within the congregation.

Angus Stewart then asked, "So, who warned parents in your locality that weren't JWs?"

It was as if, only then, the elder realized the implications of not reporting the matter to the authorities.

What is particularly worrying is that this elder, in true JW fashion, would have based his knowledge and action on advice from Branch office. The chain of (willful?) ignorance was astonishing in an organization that claims to be guided by "Jehovah's high standards of conduct".

And it took a worldly court to open their eyes, way behind other religious groups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit