I am thinking about visiting Washington DC!

by Iamallcool 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I have never been there! Where should I visit in Washington DC while I am there? Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

• scary21
    scary21

When I was about ten, my mom took us to visit my great uncle he took us everywhere. The two things that stood out in my mind were the Smithsonian Museums and the Medical Museum. I believe they moved the Medical Museum to the Walter Reed Hospital.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Other than the national monuments, the Smithsonian is a must but it is so huge that you might want to pinpoint the parts that might interest you like the air and space museum. It would help to Google it and have an itinerary to fit your time available.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I enjoyed the National Museum of African American History (check for weekday and weekend admissions) and the Newseum.

• SadElder
    SadElder

National Air & Space, Museum of Natural History, Library of Congress, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, Washington Monument (check to see if it's closed for tours still), White House, Capital, Holocaust Museum, on and on. So many things to see. Some things require advance preparation and tickets.

How long you stay will dictate your itinerary. We went again 2 years ago for a week and with a well planned daily schedule still didn't get to everything on our list. When you go will dictate the kind of crowds you'll encounter.

Enjoy your trip.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I would highly recommend the Holocaust Museum. It will take some time, and if it is like it was when I was there it may not be suitable for pre-teens. Some of the displays were pretty graphic. I saw grown men visibly shaken, and some like my father who pre-JW had been in some pretty bloody combat situations began to cry.

Anyone who wants to so freely throw the term Nazi around for political opponents today should see what Nazis really were, IMO.

• LV101
    LV101

Great place with so much to see you'll run out of time and in addition to the above check out the great art if you're into that kind of thing - Degas' famous dancers, etc., etc. They've some amazing restaurants.

• recluse
    recluse

i am going there for the first time next week. I will re-post what I saw and enjoyed

• Ding
    Ding

Depends on what you're interested in and how much time you have. Prioritize.

There's lot to see:

1. White House

2. Congress

3. Supreme Court

4. National Archives

5. Washington Monument

6. Lincoln Memorial

7. Jefferson Memorial

8. Smithsonian

9. Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was short) and Peterson House (where Lincoln died)

Across the bridge behind the Lincoln Memorial, there's Arlington National Cemetery.

There's lots more, but the above ought to keep you plenty busy.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Gorby will visit DC soon, too

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit