What’s up with the modern Nation of Israel?

by DATA-DOG 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

What do you expect from a bunch of Religious fanatics? I see no easy answers in my life as long as ALL the politicians (all sides) have to pander to their constituents' lowest common denominator..religious hate and magical thinking. I found the Wiki entry on Palestine a good memory jogger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Palestine

PS. The 1960 Classic "Exodus" about the formation of modern Isreal is on Netflix this month. Sure it is one-sided, but it did affect many US policies and public opinion that exists today.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Earnest: Once again, you claim there exist such a thing as a separate Palestine (OPT or whatever you want to call it). It's actually the PLO (a terrorist antisemitic organization) that has tried to have the UN to recognize it, but it is not recognized by either the US or the EU thus it is not a country.

The West Bank was taken in 1967 by Israel including East Jerusalem. Hamas and Fatah (both terrorist and anti-semitic organizations with opposing Muslim factions) has fought about ruling the Palestinians in the area for a little over 15 years now but Israel does not recognize it.

Settlements there are legal Israel territory according to the Jerusalem Law which was passed by the Knesset in 1969 if I'm not mistaken, a legal government agency and recognized by the UN. The Knesset is comprising of Arabs (Muslims), Jews and Christians.

Hamas and Fatah may de-facto try to rule the Palestinians within the area through terrorism, but they are the occupiers in the area (not Israel) and Hamas claims ALL of Israel is its territory so of course, any Jewish settlement in the eyes of anti-semites has to be destroyed.

If you're trying to simplify it: Hamas/Fatah is Antifa/BLM, they try to rule an area like downtown Seattle and Portland, but it never goes well, in the end, nobody cares, Portland has been ruled by Antifa/BLM for 5-6 years now (they arrange traffic, enforce their own laws with beatings), but it's not officially recognized by anyone. It sucks for the people that live there, but that's not the US Government's fault, it's a failure of local leadership and the people that choose to live there knowing what is going on.

• LV101
    LV101

Is this true re/Antifa/BLM ruling Portland for few yrs. now? What does arranging traffic mean - oh my. This isn't true in Seattle, I hope.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

"Portland has been ruled by Antifa/BLM for 5-6 years now (they arrange traffic, enforce their own laws with beatings), but it's not officially recognized by anyone. It sucks for the people that live there, but that's not the US Government's fault, it's a failure of local leadership and the people that choose to live there knowing what is going on."

You keep saying this. Prove it. I live in Oregon. I go to Portland often. I am not a Democrat. I have never seen or heard of this ("Portland has been ruled by Antifa/BLM for 5-6 years now (they arrange traffic, enforce their own laws with beatings")). Go back to Belgium. Have you even been in Portland in the last five or six years? I'm tired of know it all foreigners spouting about my country.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Really? 2018, Portland mayor Ted Wheeler says he’s okay with Antifa directing traffic: https://apnews.com/04cf8aabbee571a6c891ad45b1452862

2017: Police stand by while Antifa descends on rally and starts a fight: https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017/08/06/as-portland-police-stand-by-alt-right-and-antifa-protesters-beat-each-other-bloody/

2016: Portland riots by Antifa https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Portland,_Oregon_riots

There are plenty of examples, if you don’t see them, it’s because you believe the left-wing when they say it’s all peaceful protests.

• Earnest
    Earnest

The fact that Israel practices apartheid within the "Occupied Palestinian Territory" (the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza) seems to be clear from the 2019 report by Amnesty International. In summary :

Israel continued to impose institutionalized discrimination against Palestinians living under its rule in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT). Israeli forces killed 38 Palestinians, including 11 children, during demonstrations in the Gaza Strip and West Bank; many were unlawfully killed while posing no imminent threat to life. Israel failed to ensure accountability and redress for victims of such grave violations of international humanitarian and human rights law. Israeli air strikes and shelling in the Gaza Strip killed 28 Palestinian civilians who were not directly participating in hostilities, including 10 children. Israel maintained its illegal blockade on the Gaza Strip, subjecting its residents to collective punishment and deepening the humanitarian crisis there. It continued to restrict freedom of movement of Palestinians in the OPT through checkpoints and roadblocks. Israeli authorities unlawfully detained in Israel thousands of Palestinians from the OPT, holding hundreds in administrative detention without charge or trial. Torture and other ill-treatment of detainees, including children, were committed with impunity. Israel displaced over 900 Palestinians in the West Bank as a result of home demolitions. The authorities used a range of measures to target human rights defenders, journalists and others who criticized Israel’s continuing occupation of the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Syrian Golan Heights. The authorities denied asylum-seekers access to a fair or prompt refugee status determination process. Conscientious objectors to military service were imprisoned.

Anony Mous : ... there is no evidence of state-sanctioned torture of Palestinians within Israel.

Under the heading "Torture and other ill-treatment, deaths in custody", Amnesty International reports :

Israeli soldiers, police and Israel Security Agency (ISA) officers continued to torture and otherwise ill-treat Palestinian detainees, including children, with impunity. Reported methods included beating, slapping, painful shackling, sleep deprivation, use of stress positions and threats. Prolonged solitary confinement, sometimes for months, was commonly used as a punishment.

On 29 September, the Ministry of Justice launched an investigation after Samir Arbeed was hospitalized with broken ribs and kidney failure following torture by Israeli forces during interrogation.

Four Palestinians died in custody allegedly as a result of torture or other ill-treatment by Israeli forces. One of them, Nassar Taqatqa, who was interrogated by the ISA, died on 16 July in prison within a month of arrest. The Israel Prison Service said it was investigating his death. The authorities refused to release the bodies of three of the prisoners.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I think Israel army snipers have shot children too

• Earnest
    Earnest

JoenB75 : I think Israel army snipers have shot children too

In the 2019 Amnesty International report there is a section on Unlawful Killings.

Israeli military and security forces killed at least 38 Palestinians, including 11 children, during demonstrations in the Gaza Strip and West Bank, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Many were unlawfully killed by live ammunition or other excessive force when posing no imminent threat to life. Many of the unlawful killings appeared to be wilful, which would constitute war crimes.

Palestinians in the Gaza Strip continued weekly “Great March of Return protests” that began in March 2018. According to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, by 27 December, 215 Palestinians had been killed, among them 47 children, four paramedics and two journalists. Some Palestinian protesters engaged in violence, including by throwing stones and Molotov cocktails towards Israeli soldiers.

On 28 February, the UN Commission of Inquiry into violations committed in the context of the protests in Gaza between March and December 2018 found that Israeli forces may have committed war crimes, including by deliberately firing at Palestinian civilians. In July, Israeli media reported that the Israeli military had decided to change their open-fire regulations, which had allowed snipers to fire at protesters’ lower limbs above the knee, but only after over a year of it being aware that they were leading needlessly to deaths and devastating injuries; snipers were briefed, in the future, to shoot below the knee.

On 16 May, the Israeli army closed the investigation into the killing of Ibrahim Abu Thuraya, who used a wheelchair, during the Gaza protests in December 2017, without pressing any charges.

On 30 October, the army sentenced an Israeli soldier who shot dead 15-year-old Palestinian Othman Halas during a protest in Gaza in July 2018 to community service and reduced his rank for “endangering a life by deviating from orders”.

Israeli air strikes and shelling in the Gaza Strip killed 28 Palestinian civilians who were not directly participating in hostilities, including 10 children; 13 civilians were killed in the hostilities of 3-6 May and 15 in those of 12-16 November. Some of the attacks in which civilians were killed or injured appeared to have been indiscriminate or disproportionate or to have been carried out without adequate precautions to spare civilians.

Israeli settler attacks against Palestinians in the West Bank resulted in the killing of two Palestinians and the injuring of 112, according to OCHA. There has been a pattern of Israeli forces failing to intervene to stop such attacks and the Israeli judiciary failing to hold perpetrators to account.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Earnest, no doubt Israel has done bad stuff. I have no doubt some Palestine kids are the absolutely worst stone throwing bully kids you can find on earth, but nothing justifies killing and torturing them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Earnest has ably outlined, with help from Amnesty International, what is wrong with the Nation of Israel.

What now needs to be asked is: What is so wrong with the International Community that nothing is done about them ? ( I know I will get the usual " Whataboutery" ). But why the support for this ? "Oh, they are a beacon of Democracy", yea , for themselves alone, themselves being Jewish, Arab citizens of Israel are not the recipients of light from this " beacon".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit