Geoffrey Jackson- soliciting?

by molybdenum 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

I listened to Geoffrey Jackson’s latest talk “assisting our Brothers materially “

Jackson presented some arguments, one of which was….Jesus did not stop the widow from putting money in the contribution box in the temple. Basically saying regardless of your financial situation you have to donate. You have to “set aside” money for donating. No choice in this matter if you want to please Jesus.

Awake May 2008 page 21>

“Jehovah’s Witnesses do not tithe or in any other way solicit funds. Their work is supported entirely by voluntary contributions”

Hmm “in any other way”….

Didn’t Anthony Morris also recently tell witnesses to make donations even if you are in the poor range or words to that effect.

One definition of solicit is “To petition persistently”

So what Jackson and Morris are doing is soliciting ..is it not?

I just don’t know how he can pontificate such hypocrisy.

How much longer is this “veiled” solicitation from the GB going to be tolerated…

Ramapo anyone?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

When was this talk given? The assistance always comes down to me giving to someone else. The most the WT does is introduce us. The arrangements are usually to find some with the means to donate. All my (wife is pimi )donations go to the local congregation and then any misuse falls on the elders.

Is it time to trot out the least of christ's brothers again? The great 8 are not least in my mind

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

That was a bizarre talk.

The whole time i was thinking "he is addressing some very specific criticism from <somewhere>."

Somebody really got under his skin, or someone on the GB, and Jackson was elected to deliver the message.

They usually don't give two hoots about what "apostates" think. What prompted this strident defense?

• waton
    waton
    Jesus did not stop the widow from putting money in the contribution box in the temple.

mbd: It has to be understood, that Jesus is reported to have almost in the same breath condemned the then only God- approved system of worship to destruction.

the message: even if we fail, are going to go, and you disapprove, or we are condemned,

Jesus wants you to give. even it appears to be illogical. Even if it bankrupts you.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROAD TO NOWHERE:

Interesting that you point out ‘they look for some with the means to donate’. Well, isn’t this the truth?

These Witness hypocrites knock college/ careers and anybody with a decent job is criticized as ‘materialistic’ and ‘not spiritual’. This is why I’m glad I’m not sitting there now because I would refuse to be targeted to give money to anybody there. I know I’ve said this a million times and I can’t stress it enough.

I always said, even years ago, that I didn’t want to be anywhere near JWs when reality hit them. I meant it.

I got criticized and shunned for having a full-time job! Thankfully, I held on to this job until Retirement. If I had listened to JWs I would be in a very bad predicament now. I would be, as the expression goes, ‘Shit Out of Luck’. Therefore, I’m not in the least bit interested in anybody’s hard luck stories there.

Good luck to them but I don’t want these idiots coming anywhere near me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are getting exactly what they deserve from me. Which is nothing.

Why would I give a positive amount of money to a religion that is nothing more than a death trap, making me an ordained minister in something that is working to enslave the whole world, responsible for the whole territory (along with the other ordained ministers, which anyone becomes upon baptism), binds me to that abomination of a god they have, and then has the nerve to expect me to donate beyond my means?

• Overrated
    Overrated

Watchtower = 0 value. They frowned on higher education which I can be self reliant. Now that I'm self reliant, and have money, they want me to "Return" and give them money. I can't and won't help them.

• asp59
    asp59

Big big sell out of KHs on the way. JWs have to obey and sell or it's out the door for them (df)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

What is it about GOD that he always needs money from his worshipers ??? Even in Bible times he was always out for precious gems ,gold and silver ?

Does he ever actually ever get it ?

• Konagirl
    Konagirl

@FFGhost - The whole time i was thinking "he is addressing some very specific criticism from <somewhere>."

Somebody really got under his skin, or someone on the GB, and Jackson was elected to deliver the message. They usually don't give two hoots about what "apostates" think. What prompted this strident defense?

I am sure that more than one person had great searing comments about AM3's talk, that got under their skin. And disfellowshipped anointed ones got involved also. https://www.facebook.com/groups/restorationofjacob/posts/1969395923233661

Jackson related the scriptures where Paul collected gifts/money for the holy ones who were poor. These people needed provisions to survive. He then translates that into the need for the organization to build kingdom halls and whatever else they devise in their mind – Ramapo. Forget the poor who need daily provisions throughout the world, but coerce the poor to give to Ramapo. Such hypocrisy.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

Is the GB beginning to grieve over their eager need for more money?

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." 1 Tim 6

That is the trademark of a true charity, and the GB are not exempt from this. They apparently took the vow of poverty, but I tell ya, those men are the most fleshly, well kept poor people I have ever seen. So...JWs give to the "poor" - the GB (and their dreams)?

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse! Gal 1:6-9

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit