Beards mentioned again in magazine!

by neat blue dog 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

So in short, what The Watchtower is saying is that there may be a handful of areas around the world where beards are allowed on brothers with responsibilities, (except for on conventions), but even in those areas, the truly mature ones will choose not to where a beard.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

exactly! I hope a precise map wil soon be published!!!

Concerning CT Russell, the fact was that beards were still acceptable in his country... and in all contries he visited, so he didn't have to shave it.

You know what? I will soon get my "double talk" master in Warwick univesity!

about 10 years ago, I asked a CO why beards were not allowed on stage for conventions. He answered seriously that some could think that muslim extremists have infiltrated the WTBTS! And when I asked him why the same rule didn't apply to bald brother (some were looking as skin heads), he told me I had a very bad way of thinking

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

"Is it proper for a brother today not to have a beard? In some cultures, no beard may be acceptable and may not detract from the Kingdom message. Still, some brothers might decide to have a beard. (1 Cor. 8:9) In other cultures and localities, beards are considered acceptable for Christian ministers.—w16.09, p. 21."

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

This is what I think of the Governing Body's no beards policy!

https://youtu.be/-qdNy_vz-gM

• Saename
    Saename

In some cultures it's not acceptable to wear a beard? Oh, really?

In North America, Jehovah's Witnesses generally are not allowed to wear a beard. Interestingly, though, nobody I've met who lives in North America actually thinks that beards are unacceptable... Everyone that I've met has not a single problem with beards... So you're saying...?

polish clarinet - He answered seriously that some could think that muslim extremists have infiltrated the WTBTS!

Yup. When I was still a Jehovah's Witness but had a stubble, I was told by an elder that I look like a Muslim, so I should shave it off. What...?

Maybe we should organise a survey and find out how many non-JWs actually consider beards unacceptable?

• tiki
    tiki

Outlaw!!! Move out of moms basement....that is superb!! What I would like to know is why on earth they are so obsessed with facial hair. Yes, homeless, mentally ill tend to sport scraggly dirty beards...they also probably smell bad and are wearing grimy raggedy clothing. That type of beard is not a societal plus. But all forms of creative facial hair patterns is just part of an individuals choice and why on earth a bunch of self righteous nerds are worried about it just further proves their stupidity.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"In other cultures and localities, beards are not considered acceptable for Christian ministers."

Those would be JW culture and KH localities.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Londo111 - "It's amazing how roundabout and indirect they can prohibit something without actually saying it."

Yup, credit where credit's due.

It's a very effective way of making and enforcing rules when their own ideology (officially) casts aspersions on that very thing.

Hell, they've raised passive/aggressive rule-mongering to a goddamn art form. :smirk:

• Ding
    Ding

Concerning CT Russell, the fact was that beards were still acceptable in his country... and in all countries he visited, so he didn't have to shave it.

Beards are still acceptable in the USA to everyone except legalistic groups like the WT.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

His answer, "After praying to Jehovah, and reading the Bible daily, I realized i had to slave off my beard" - this makes this 'issue' sound so important and dramatic, as if elder So-and-so couldn't continue with his daily routine unless he prayed to Jehovah about his troubling beard.

"Where's John? He hasn't clocked in for work yet."

"He's got a major issue on his hands, Chet. You know that beard he's been growing for the past month? Well, he's so worried about it, he's had to stay at home this morning and pray. Hopefully God will give him an answer and sort out this mess ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit