Estimating future growth or decline of Watchtower

by shepherdless 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I have seen a few posts here, in various guises, in relation to whether Watchtower is in decline. Plenty of people respond, but it is all fairly anecdotal, or "gut feel". Some of it has been wishful thinking.

As of late 2015, Watchtower's numbers suggest it is still growing marginally, but there are various anecdotes on this site of publishers typically being older, and younger ones disappearing. Personally, I suspect there will never be a mass exodus, and that if Watchtower is to decline, it will be over a period of decades at least.

I think one of the most important indicators of future growth or decline, is the median age of the Witnesses. (By the way; "median age" does not mean the same thing as "average age". I am not going to explain the difference, here.)

Why is median age relevant?

• Virtually every country on the planet that has a median age of over 40 is experiencing zero or negative population growth. (In fact most countries experiencing significant population growth have median ages of 30 or less.)

• The effect of an increase in median age is not immediate. It plays out over decades.
    • The effect has been masked by increases in life expectancy in most countries.

• Given that Watchtower struggles to gain recruits in the internet age, and is now heavily reliant on "born-ins" for future growth, I suspect the same applies to Watchtower.

Predicting growth from median age is a complicated topic, and the relevant median age that leads to a population decline depends on a number of factors and differs from region to region.
    Japan is a good example. Its population peaked at 127.8 million in 2011 and is now back to around 126.8 million. It now has a median age of 45 and its population will inevitably continue to decline. The population decline has nothing to do with anything that happened since 2011, and everything to do with birth rates going back decades. In fact, the peak would have occurred before 2011, had it not been for increases in life expectancy.

I would say that if your local congregation has a median age over 50, or even over 40, it is in inevitable long term decline, even if the numbers appear stable at the moment. Individuals fading, getting d.a.'ed or d.f.'ed would be just speeding up the process.

So how do we estimate the median age?

If you still attend Kingdom Hall, you could look around and try to estimate the median age of your congregation, which is the theoretical age that exactly half are older than, and half are younger than. There is mostly no need to know or guess anyone's actual age, or work out averages. Just start with your guestimate of the median age, and count those who are above and those who are below it. If the numbers aren't even, adjust your guestimate and count again. (I think it is easier in practice than how it may sound, reading this.)

If estimating the median age as described above seems complicated, you could simply count the ratio of attendees over and under the age of, say, 50. That would still be useful info.

If a significant number of people here were to do that exercise, and report the median age here, I think it should be possible to work out rough but realistic estimates of how many Witnesses there will be in, say, 10 and in 20 years time. If you do choose to respond:

• please respond even if the news is disappointing
    • if you can, please indicate your country
    • if your congregation is unusually small (or large) please mention that as well.

How about it?

[Edit: missing paragraphs reinserted]

• nugget
    nugget

I haven't been to a hall since 2009 so I am not in a position to say what is happening regarding meeting attendance. What I do know is that I see fewer witnesses on the traditional door to door work. I see fewer out and about in the community and apart from the occasional apathy cart they are invisible.

It seems that the term witness has gone from an active verb of speaking out and sounding an alarm to a passive verb of someone who watches people go by.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I know of the congregations in my area. There has been marginal growth. Most of the new baptized, have come from the ranks of the kids.
  • shepherdless
    shepherdless

Hi nigget and wannaexit.

When I made my original post, some paragraphs mysteriously disappeared. I have reinserted them.

• sir82
    sir82

If a significant number of people here were to do that exercise, and report the median age here

Not sure what you are after.

Do you want people to report the median age in their congregation? I doubt most people have access to that information. I can make a wild guess at the median of the ~120 people in mine, but it would probably be +/- 10 years accuracy.

Do you want people to report the median age of the country they live in? Seems like a google search would get that information instantly.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Hi Sir82,

here is two of the paragraphs that disappeared, and now reinserted:

If you still attend Kingdom Hall, you could look around and try to estimate the median age of your congregation, which is the theoretical age that exactly half are older than, and half are younger than. There is mostly no need to know or guess anyone's actual age, or work out averages. Just start with your guestimate of the median age, and count those who are above and those who are below it. If the numbers aren't even, adjust your guestimate and count again. (I think it is easier in practice than how it may sound, reading this.)

If estimating the median age as described above seems complicated, you could simply count the ratio of attendees over and under the age of, say, 50. That would still be useful info.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    growth in the UK is definitely minimal, even worse in most parts of Europe, look at the figures for Germany and Poland, I do agree with the "mass exodus" theory not happing any time soon, but has any contemporary religious cult/sect ever seen a mass exodus? they are all shrinking, slowly dying and rotting away to be small irrelevant groups that the public will be less and less aware or bothered about, in my old circuit 3 traditional congs have been liquidated, one KH sold off, something you would have never thought would be possible 20 years ago, the cong of my ex jw wife has been merged. What will the WTS look like in the UK and Europe 10 years down the line? god knows, I see more of the same, perhaps circuit assembly halls sold off completely, there is no sign of a rekindling of growth that we saw in the late 1960's/1970's and 80's never in a million years.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    I don't see how the median age of congregations could have anything to say. The only way, would be for you to get information of the median age of a whole bunch of congregations in a specific country, a whole bunch. Congregations mirror the surrounding area, the country - there are so many "things" involved. You would need the median age of the JW community in a country as a whole.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    jookbeard - Poland is a country that can NOT be used as an example, since so many Polish citizens have left for other countries to get a job. In some other European countries, towards 6-7-8 even 10 % of the JWs are Polish, so within the EU of today it makes "much less" sense than earlier to look at the countries. It would be better to look at the number of JWs in foreign-speaking congregations in each country and add up for example all Polish-speaking congregations of the European countries.
  • crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light

Im not sure what you looking for. The growth/decline of a group like JW depends on scandals, teachings and much more. So I don't think that it make much sense to collect the data.

But if you need numbers, maybe this is interesting, only germany:

From 2007-2015:

- they merged 276 congs to 138 congs

- they build 116 language-congs

- build 5 new congs

- build signlanguage-congs

I think main part is to find, how they fake the statistic. The language-cong save the statistic, but mostly there not much new people.

So if you start to calculate, you base it on the 8 Mill witnesses, first you have to start there and find some Information if 8 Mill is nearly correct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit