JW Chef Refuses to Cook Black Pudding

by cofty 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DogGone
    DogGone
    If I believe uncovered women are an affront to god (trust me, I don't) then how can that be reconciled with someone else's freedom to be uncovered? (please, be my guest).
    Those who want to wear a head covering like a turbin, a kippah, or a hijab do so. Those who do not, don't. Those who do should not force others to, likewise, do. Those who do not shouldn't force others to, likewise, do not. I can't understand the challenge. It is only when either religious fundamentalism or secularism are forced on the unwilling that the need to reconcile anything arises.
    This JW wasn't trying to make a law forcing this off the menu for everyone. She wasn't even fired and then suing saying it was religious persecution. The story is that she asked someone else to care for it. It is the employer's right to fire her if they don't find this a reasonable accommodation. The peanut gallery calling for her termination are being bigots. That is my view.
    The big difference is that your sexuality is who you are. You cannot change it.
    That same point was raised by Cofty. I simply cannot understand it. I know it was, for reasons passing understanding, important to some people to find out that homosexuality is genetic. I never understood in the slightest why it should matter. Why not respect accommodate and love someone regardless of whether it is a choice or not? I mean, really, if it were a choice would that make it OK to have homophobia? Of course not. Can you imagine if someone pointed out the reason why you don't discriminate against black people is because they had no choice? Like they are flawed, but what the heck, it isn't like the could choose it.
    Homosexuality, race, religion, politics, and gender are all part of the great mosaic of society. But I would say that, raised and indoctrinated as a Canadian.
    Freedom of religion was an early right in the long march of human rights, not far behind property rights. Having laid the ground work for many rights which have come after, the notion to throw it away is repugnant to me.
    Cofty asked me why I equate the bigotry. They are opposite sides of the same coin to me, the dislike of the other. Especially when it comes in contact with or in any way inconveniences someone. Even when it doesn't, man oh man people get upset. How does an RCMP member wearing a turbin inconvenience a single person? And yet, man oh man, it was a huge debate years ago.
    I know many of my fellow atheists and strong agnostics advocate for a secular public place, for the repression of religious superstition. To me those are dangerous, regressive, and foolish ideas. They are born of the same intolerance for different ideas and lifestyles (whether chosen or inherited).
  • DogGone
    DogGone
    Ms. JW chef will always refuse to serve him.

What evidence do you have that she refused to serve him? If she refused to serve people who eat blood, that would be discrimination. If she actually asked someone else to prepare one portion of the meal, as per a previous employment arrangement, that would not be.

Please people, it really could be just a simple misunderstanding. The call for her termination is such an overreaction.

For the record, Simon, you do not have a right to bacon, but I wouldn't mind an amendment:

The quality of breakfast being necessary to the sustenance of the state, the right of the people to bacon shall not be infringed.
  • Simon
    Simon
    So, my take is that it isn't even the fact he was inconvenienced... it was that someone's religion dared inconvenience him. To me, he is an absolute tool and a symptom of a problem.

Maybe the customer thinks "really? you don't want to cook me the think that *I* am actually paying you to cook? if your religious convictions are so strong, why didn't you just refuse to take the position? why take the money but then bail when it counts? why apply to do a job that you don't want to do?"

Why ... because she's a religiot.

• average joe
    average joe

Here is what everyone seems to be not understanding

"...A spokeswoman said a member of staff had misunderstood that the chef had asked them to prepare the black pudding, not that black pudding could not be served."

The above quote explains the fault was not with the chef but with the employee not following directions.

Which makes this not an article about a jw chef not wanting to do their jobs but about the difficulty in finding staff who can follow directions and know what not to say to customers. In any kitchen the head chefs do not tolerate people who can not follow their directions.

Why in the world would the employee tell the officer that the chef was a jw and thats the reason for no blood pudding? In any restaurant or business I have ever worked at you dont reveal the truth to the customer. You dont tell them I was too lazy to do my job properly or I screwed up or I forgot or was to be chatting to do my job etc thats why its taking longer or you cant have what you came here for. No matter what anyone says time and time again I have watched company's tell customers anything but what really happened to avoid them getting angry and to keep them calm. Why an employee went to the officer and actually said the chef is a jw and refuses to serve you blood pudding blows my mind especially when we know the blood pudding is regularly served with the jw working as a chef . Why would it become an issue all of the sudden. This calls into question at least in my mind his intentions revealing information no normal person would tell a customer. I believe this is an attempt to make the jws look bad more then this is about staff confusion. I prefer honesty if jw does something wrong let them catch hell for it but if some hateful punk does something dishonest to make someone else look bad I am gonna give them hell for it too.

Most of us here know jws and we all know they will take a job if they can do it without violating their religious principles. If the company requires that they violate those principles they will promptly give notice and go work somewhere else .

In most cases, The company will have someone else deal with blood or holiday, or political issues and the jw continues to work there with no problems. My current boss for example loves hiring Jws because she feels they work hard and do not steal. She is perfectly fine with them not doing anything political and the bonus is they can work holidays since they do not celebrate.

Also, The world is full of non religious nuttery. People are hateful, rude, selfish, greedy, violent, prideful, arrogant, heartless, liars, thieves, addicts, to mention a few traits of non religious people. It should therefore not surprise anyone that religious people who are the same as non religious people have the same bad traits . While non religious people regulary criticize religious people for their short comings and failures to live up to the bible despite trying. We learn that all men are hypocrites, religious people for not practicing what they preach and non religious people for doing the same things they criticize religion for doing.

• Simon
    Simon
    If someone "grassed up" the chef it's likely because they were sick of being hung out to try, sent out to effectively lie to customers or have to do the chef's job for them (for a fraction of the pay? sharing tips with them?). The fault is not with the person who blows the whistle, it's with the person who commits the foul.
  • Simon
    Simon
    It is only when either religious fundamentalism or secularism are forced on the unwilling that the need to reconcile anything arises.

No, it's when the religious are told that they cannot impose their lifestyle on other people's. It is rarely secularists that are refusing to serve someone or do something. It's always inevitably the religious.

And then they sue.

It's contrived, like they look for opportunities "to be oppressed" so they can get a pay day.

This JW wasn't trying to make a law forcing this off the menu for everyone.

No, just not provide that part of the menu - same result. Same as someone refusing to issue marriage licenses for gay people.

She wasn't even fired and then suing saying it was religious persecution. The story is that she asked someone else to care for it. It is the employer's right to fire her if they don't find this a reasonable accommodation. The peanut gallery calling for her termination are being bigots. That is my view.

I don't think it makes sense. It sounds to me like they had enough of her. Imagine a chef who won't do the job. What they hell are they supposed to do? Everyone else has to do her job for her but she still get's paid? Why? Walk away if you don't want to do it. Claims moral objections but then doesn't do the moral thing.

That same point (sexuality) was raised by Cofty. I simply cannot understand it.

That's because it's a good point and because you refuse to.

I know it was, for reasons passing understanding, important to some people to find out that homosexuality is genetic. I never understood in the slightest why it should matter.

It doesn't, you are simply trying to distract attention and muddy the issue.

Why not respect accommodate and love someone regardless of whether it is a choice or not? I mean, really, if it were a choice would that make it OK to have homophobia?

No, and that is the point. Why does the choice of religion make any form of discrimination OK?

"I don't like gay people" / "OMG, I can't believe how bigoted you are!" / "My religion" / "Oh, that's OK then, carry on".

Sorry, no.

Can you imagine if someone pointed out the reason why you don't discriminate against black people is because they had no choice? Like they are flawed, but what the heck, it isn't like the could choose it.

Exactly why you should not be allowed to discriminate against anyone because of who they are, whatever lame justification you come up with. And applying that exact same lame justification to anything else makes it no more valid.

Homosexuality, race, religion, politics, and gender are all part of the great mosaic of society.

Unless you are religious.

But I would say that, raised and indoctrinated as a Canadian.

Someone who really respects freedoms because they are the right thing doesn't call it "indoctrination".

Maybe "taught" or "educated" or "informed"? This to me is a sign that you can say some of the right words to suit your argument but you may not really live and feel them.

Freedom of religion was an early right in the long march of human rights, not far behind property rights. Having laid the ground work for many rights which have come after, the notion to throw it away is repugnant to me.

No, religion has often been the log jam in the way of freedoms (except for those of the in-power religious of course) and wanting to deny other people their freedoms. We owe non of our freedoms to religion. We took so long to grant so many because religion was used to excuse bigotry time and time and time again.

That's why it's important to fight over every inch because if it is a constant effort by certain groups to get exceptions, to be allowed to impose their beliefs, monuments, to get exceptions from the rules that should apply to all.

Cofty asked me why I equate the bigotry. They are opposite sides of the same coin to me, the dislike of the other. Especially when it comes in contact with or in any way inconveniences someone. Even when it doesn't, man oh man people get upset. How does an RCMP member wearing a turbin inconvenience a single person? And yet, man oh man, it was a huge debate years ago.

It's not about dislike. No one gives a shit about the chef as long as they cook the breakfast properly. No one cares what religion she was. No one was going to bother her over her religion. But that wasn't enough for her. She couldn't simply do her job like any other person. She wanted to make it a issue even though, and this is important, THERE IS NOTHING IN HER RELIGION THAT TELLS HER SHE CAN'T DO IT.

*If* she wants to make an issue of something on religious grounds then why can't she produce the official list of beliefs that says "As a member of [whatever faith] I cannot do [xyz], signed [leaders of that religion"?

Why? Because it's always contrived and whatever is convenient to them and always changing to suit which way the wind is blowing.

I know many of my fellow atheists and strong agnostics advocate for a secular public place, for the repression of religious superstition. To me those are dangerous, regressive, and foolish ideas. They are born of the same intolerance for different ideas and lifestyles (whether chosen or inherited).

It's not repression to say keep your beliefs to yourself and out of the workplace. Do whatever the hell you want at church, worship the god you want. But don't try to force your imaginary sky god's likes and dislikes on anyone else - that is repressive and foolish, especially if it involves the right to bacon.

Being intolerant of intolerance is not a bad thing. None are quite so intolerant as the religious.

• Listener
    Listener
    Before our trip to the UK, I said to my husband that we will probably get black pudding with our breakfast. He said no problem, he was willing to give it a try. He quickly changed his mind when he first saw and smelt it, there was no way he was going to eat it.
    It doesn't look nice and smells bad. I imagine there would be a number of chefs who find black pudding objectionable and don't like cooking this stuff but do it anyway because it's part of their job.
    Fortunately for us we only came across black pudding the one time.
  • DogGone
    DogGone
    No, it's when the religious are told that they cannot impose their lifestyle on other people's. It is rarely secularists that are refusing to serve someone or do something. It's always inevitably the religious.

I don't get the leap from someone asking another person to cook a portion of a meal to them imposing their lifestyle on other people. Someone wearing a gay pride flag is not imposing their lifestyle. Nor is someone wearing a hijab or choosing not to eat bacon. So long as they are not campaigning for laws or restrictions on others, I fail to see the leap.

Wearing a hijab is not imposing a lifestyle on someone. Insisting that you cannot wear a hijab and still work for the government is imposing a lifestyle on others.

This JW wasn't trying to make a law forcing this off the menu for everyone.
    No, just not provide that part of the menu - same result. Same as someone refusing to issue marriage licenses for gay people.

An East Indian or a secular vegetarian not serving me a steak is not the same as making a law against steak. In either case, true, I don't have a steak. But moments later I can go to another restaurant to get a steak. Surely you see how that is very different.

No, and that is the point. Why does the choice of religion make any form of discrimination OK?

Hello, Straw Man. It doesn't; discrimination is not OK. You cannot refuse to serve a marriage license because the couple is inter-racial, gay, or enjoy blood meal. That is discrimination. That choice is discriminating against a class of people. Please help me understand how the case in question is discrimination? Everything else that follows on this point is knocking down straw.

To me is a sign that you can say some of the right words to suit your argument but you may not really live and feel them.

A bit ad hominem. It means that I have rebelled, somewhat, against the liberal education I was raised with. Some of that has been thanks to this forum and points you and Cofty have raised to me before.

We owe non of our freedoms to religion. We took so long to grant so many because religion was used to excuse bigotry time and time and time again.

You confuse Freedom of Religion with freedoms owed to religion... or you are not reading what I am writing. After the long turmoil from the religious wars various laws on Religious Tolerance and Freedom of Conscience rose to end the madness between Catholics and Protestants. An agreement to live, side by side, with differences in belief and practice, but with tolerance, arose in fits and starts. This Freedom was the incubator for freedom of thought, divergent opinion, and divergent practice and led to a secular Europe. It is hard to imagine Europe today had not this fundamental freedom arose. It is part of our western tradition. When I said it was an early right and laid the ground for future rights I was being accurate.

... your further argument about whether it is contrived, a mandate from a central body, or a personal conviction is beside the point.

Bigotry, an intolerance toward those who have views or practices that are different, does not magically cease to be bigotry depending on whether the object comes to those views and practices by choice or through genetic necessity. Cofty said that "people chose their superstitions they don't choose their homosexuality" You stated that the "Big difference" is that sexuality is who you are whereas religion is a "coat you wear". You both brought up the issue of choice as being central and then you accuse me of trying to distract attention by addressing it. Well shucks.

Firing someone for not doing their job is totally OK. Asking for someone to be fired for not doing their job is totally OK. Doesn't matter if the reason is religious or not. But, elevating this little misunderstanding to some imposition of religion upon society, an agenda to impose one's religion on others, discrimination against all lovers of blood, that's bigotry. Saying that religion should be left at home, that's bigotry. It is just not reasonable.

"I don't like religious people having their superstitions inconvenience me" / "OMG, I can't believe how bigoted you are!" / "Well they chose to be religious and believe in a fairy tale" / "Oh, that's OK then, carry on".

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty asked me why I equate the bigotry. They are opposite sides of the same coin to me, the dislike of the other

There is you error right there.

It's really simple. Objecting to who somebody is = bigotry. Objecting to what somebody does is not.

Those who want to wear a head covering like a turbin, a kippah, or a hijab do so.

Yes but when you go to work your employer decides.

• krejames
    krejames
    Simon: "If someone "grassed up" the chef it's likely because they were sick of being hung out to try, sent out to effectively lie to customers or have to do the chef's job for them (for a fraction of the pay? sharing tips with them?). The fault is not with the person who blows the whistle, it's with the person who commits the foul."

I'm sorry but I'm 100% with AverageJoe on this one. I have no time for the JW religion but this really is a non issue. Talk about people trying to find any excuse to stick the boot in and making absurd suppositions/filling in the gaps to justify the "anti-JW" at all costs.

The evidence suggests a member of staff failed to follow their line manager's instructions and took an opportunity to slag them off to a customer.

In my work I regularly have to defend my directors' incompetence but I don't slag them off to the members I f the public I deal with.

Personally, if I was the manager I would sack the insubordinate member of staff who failed to follow instructions and brought the company into disrepute completely unnecessarily.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit