Minimum wages..raising the minimum question

by James Mixon 41 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Captain Schmideo2: Your thought on the topic.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    Stan beat me to it
    only because you stopped to translate it lol.
  • DJS
    DJS

Captain Schmideo2,

You are my hero. Your statement can be applied to nearly every OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvCxKu0xpBk

• Simon
    Simon
    The simply solution is: get a good education and you will not have to worry about it.

That only works if there is disparity of education. If everyone has a college degree then they all become worthless (think about it).

Just because someone may not have a degree though and can't get a high paying job doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid a fair wage for a fair days work, often a harder days work and no less valuable.

£6-70 an hour in the UK. to many people here thats an aspiration.

You can't just translate income like that. Other cost of living factors affect the true value of someone's income beyond the exchange rate. If the exchange rate changes does it affect someone earning $USD at all? It does a little (cost of imports etc...) but mostly it's irrelevant if someone is earning and spending in their local currency.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

DesirousOfChange:

The simply solution is: get a good education and you will not have to worry about it.

I've known people with college education work as cashiers. There simply aren't enough good jobs. Almost all of the US industry has been outsourced to China.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Simple math:

$7.25 x 160 hours per month = $1160 (If you get full time work.)

1 bedroom apartment = $1100; 2 bedroom apartment = $1300 divided by 2 (roommates) = $650.

Food = $150; Car maintenance and insurance = ?; Internet/phone = $100; All the other costs you don't think about until they hit you = ???.

I remember way back in the 1980s how conservatives would mock the Communist Soviet Union by pointing out that in Russia you had two families living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Yet that is happening here in the US.

• scotoma
    scotoma

One of my jobs from when I started pioneering in the early 1960's was at McDonalds for $1.50 per hour starting wage. That would be almost $12.00 an hour now.

Large companies that only pay the current minimum wage are forcing the middle class to supplement their workers income with numerous welfare programs.

The government should supplement anyone who is working up to a living wage and do that by taxing the large corporations.

As far as affording education - companies should be paying for the education of their workers out of a super fund. The companies are the beneficiaries of an educated work force.

The truth about education is that some people simply cannot learn complicated stuff because they have low IQs. We evolved in a hunter-gatherer environment (at best subsistence agriculture) and you can do that with an IQ of 70-80. The poor you shall have always.

If a person is willing to work they deserve a living wage. That's what nature provided when we developed as a species.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    My opinion?
    A person working a job should not have to get government assistance in order to make ends meet, while his employer continues to enjoy tax advantages that helps them maximize their bottom line. We, the regular taxpayer, have to make up the difference by paying higher taxes to fund the programs. To help people WITH JOBS actually survive.

Pay a decent wage, indexed for the area of the country you run your business in. Some places like New York would be higher, other places like Fumbuck, Arkansas would be lower. But pay a living wage.

Making statements like "If you don't like it, leave!", "Move where the jobs are!" and "Get and education if you want a good job!" sound exactly like the harsh, arrogant attitudes I heard in every car group I ever had the misfortune to ride in. Along with that other standard "Wait on God's Kingdom, and ALL your problems will be solved!"

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Chris Thornberg, a founding partner of Beacon economies states the higher minimum

wage does not reduce poverty. Does it reduce homelessness, no. Does it get more at-risk

inner -city youth to work,no. So why are we doing it?

He gave two reasons why California faces a bigger gap today between wages and cost of

living. In recent decades, Calif. lost tens of thousands of well-paying manufacturing jobs

to other states, nations and innovation. At the same time, Calif. has excelled at creating high-paying,

high-skilled jobs in the technology and digital sectors, and lots of low-paying jobs.

Article today in my local news paper, By Anthony York

I may add, my father moved to California in 1959, to get a better job and to earn more to feed

his family of 7. I'm sorry, if my family is one pay check away from being homeless I think I would

look else where.

We have people every day risking their lives crossing the borders for that reason.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    if you made google and starbucks to pay more tax you could use the money to create more jobs Google bought youtube for $1.6 BILLION dollars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit