Would DNA be a choice to backup this computer network

by Crabby 12 Replies latest social current

• Crabby
    Crabby
    Could DNA be adapted to binary code storage. Seriously could your hard drive be made of DNA someday?
  • Simon
    Simon

I doubt it would be reliable enough and there is already storage working at the atomic level.

In theory, this storage density would allow all books ever created by humans to be written on a single post stamp," said Dr Otte.
    Or, by another measure, the entire contents of the US Library of Congress could be stored in a 0.1mm-wide cube.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36824902

• Crabby
    Crabby

Would the first binary computers that used tubes have been reliable enough to run this network?

Nope, but the network is here, and the newest experements in DNA storage are using a type of encoding that more resembles RAM code than it resembles typical hard drive storage.

• Simon
    Simon

DNA is not a 100% exact copy each time. That's why evolution happens. With computer / binary storage you typically want to have exact reproduction.

• Crabby
    Crabby

Simon, all one would need to do is incorporate error correcting code.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm using a slice of ham as my storage media right now.

• Crabby
    Crabby

Nathan, it's not a joke, it's real. Something that ignorant JW's will never know. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601851/microsoft-reports-a-big-leap-forward-for-dna-data-storage/

It looks like a test tube with dried salt at the bottom, but Microsoft says it could be the future of data storage. The company reported today that it had written roughly 200 megabytes of data, including War and Peace and 99 other literary classics, into DNA.

Researchers have demonstrated that digital data can be stored in DNA before, but Microsoft says none have written so much of it into DNA at once.

DNA is a good storage medium because data can be written into molecules more densely than the basic elements of conventional storage technologies can pack it in, says Karin Strauss, Microsoft's lead researcher on the project, which also involves researchers from the University of Washington. Right now the technique is expensive and finicky, but the company hopes to piggyback on the plunging costs of tools for creating and reading out DNA driven by the biotech industry. DNA is seen as a potential replacement for magnetic tape, which is the standard mechanism for long-term data stores today.

“The company is interested in learning whether we can create an end-to-end system that can store information, that’s automated, and can be used for enterprise storage, based on DNA,” says Strauss.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I'm using a slice of ham as my storage media right now......NN

That Was My 1st Choice Too.....

I`VE UPGRADED..

Image result for Roast pig

• Crabby
    Crabby

You do know that slices of Mammoth DNA have held their code for tens of thousands of years? http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

Nothing is more precious as an ignorant group of JW's making jokes at the World that continues around them unabated as they pray for death and destruction

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You do know that slices of Mammoth DNA have held their code for tens of thousands of years?.....crabby

That`s a Friggin Great Idea!........................I Hope Hooking It Up..

I`VE UPGRADED AGAIN!!..........................WON`T BE A PROBLEM..

Image result for Mammoth on bbq......Image result for computer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit