Retractions in the Watchtower

by Elsewhere 44 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Think about it, minimus, the days of the week and the months are mostly named after pagan gods.

Wednesday--Woden

Friday--Freya

May--Maia

June--Juno

January--Janus

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

If that's it, they better give some articles on the origin of toasting, wedding bands, wedding procedures, etc......Ooops, they already did, didn't they?

• onacruse
    onacruse

blondie, that's a very comprehensive list. Thanks! I've bookmarked it.

minimus: Penton has a facsimile of that calendar in his book...a few details--

The months were re-named (in order): Redemption, Life, Visitment, Freedom, Vindication, Hope, King, Peace, Order, Logos, Jehovah, Temple

The days were re-named: Lightday, Heavenday, Earthday, Starday, Lifeday, Mansday, Godsday

(all this, as blondie points out, to get away from using "pagan" names)

The year started in the spring, to coincide with Jesus' execution.

Just a few minor changes; very workable. LOL

Craig

• minimus
    minimus

Craig, where can I get this book???

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL. Building their own calendar! I see it only took a few months for them to realize they bit off more than they could chew. If they had gone through with this,

TGIF would have turned in to Thank God It's Lifeday?

Little Johnny would go off to school in Hope month, hoping furiously that his teacher doesn't whup him for saying Good Lightday with a straight face?

...and how would witnesses complete application forms with a Jehovah-approved date? The mind boggles.

An interesting calendar link, http://astro.nmsu.edu/~lhuber/leaphist.html

oooh, the research is endless: Here is bit of history and a converter for the failed Jacobin (French Revolutionary War) calendar.

http://www.windhorst.org/calendar/

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Blondie - Thanks for that list...never knew it existed. However, looking it over I noticed that there was only one mention of the Sodom resurrection debate...didn't they change or "clarify" several times? As well as the "rape/scream" conflict? It seems maybe they left a few out? But maybe I missed them..oh yeah and the "superior authorities"..wasn't that changed a couple of times..not just once? Could they possibly be dishonest in their honesty? What am I saying? The Faithless & Dishonest Slave comes through for us again?

-BONEZZ

• blondie
    blondie
    I noticed that there was only one mention of the Sodom resurrection debate...didn't they change or "clarify" several times? As well as the "rape/scream" conflict? It seems maybe they left a few out?

Yes, BONEZZ, they tend to bury it if they can. It takes a little research to find it sometimes. They did it with organ transplants. It helps to have a WT-CD rather than the hard copy indexes.

Blondie

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Blondie - I think folks like me who were never great researchers owe you a big THANK YOU. I have the CD-Rom but never knew the "clarification" category was there. I was born and raised in it so I tended to just put my trust in my parents who were as duped as I was. Thanks again and may I just say that your posts are always informative and useful.

-BONEZZ

• onacruse
    onacruse

min, I got my copy of Apocalypse Delayed from Randy W's site http://www.freeminds.org/sales/menuframes.htm

Craig

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks Blondie... I dont want to swipe the thread. but does anyone remember the Awake where they printed a wonderful couple standing together to promote a happied married life? I was at PA when the EX wife of that man ( in the article) told me she had just written to Brooklyn & in the issue to other countries they had another couple in their stead -No explanation!!!! I would really like to fined it again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit