Hanging out with JWs is exhausting!

by StephaneLaliberte 15 Replies latest jw friends

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Not long ago, there was a funeral for a sister I haven’t know very much, so I did not attend. However, some old “friends” I know drove down to town to assist and I ended up spending some time with them. Quite honestly, I was happy to see them again. We shared some good times together over the years and I was excited to catch up and find out how they were doing and what was happening in their lives. Yes, I know, since I’ve been inactive for a long time, we are, against our own will, natural enemies. Still, as I try my best not to live my life based on watchtower’s teachings, I decided to ignore this unfortunate fact and tried to spend good, quality time with my friends. I mean, we had so much fun before, why would things change, right?

So, we met, shook hands, hugged and started to talk about small things and what happened to us through the years. As the evening went on and alcohol helped in softening the edges, we talked about matters that were closer to our hearts, you know, personal feelings and stuff.

Being the only “inactive” in the group, my presence didn’t seem to matter, it was just like in the good old days. I was part of the group, we were friends and nothing changed! Obviously, there were plenty of things I could not say and was measuring my words, but surely that was due to me being inactive. And then I became rather passive in the overall conversation and listened silently to others sharing their tales and thoughts. It was then that I had this revelation, this fresh new look on my old comrades: They were not themselves! None of them truly were! During the discussion, you could tell when someone wanted to go into a subject and stopped. When someone through of a story to share and stopped. When a topic clearly lead everyone to think about an unresolved matter, and yet, no one said a word. I was not the only one struggling to measure my words, everyone were!

It was fear. Fear that, by discussing these things, the “magic” moment would go away. Sure, they have known each other for 30+ years and yet, none of them could talk openly in front of everyone. This fear was inadvertently impending on the rhythm of the exchanges, making the participants swim against the current and that, dear reader, is absolutely exhausting!

Of course, I am no fool, I know that this type of social behaviour is not limited to Jehovah’s Witnesses. In fact, you can probably have the exact same feeling when you go out to lunch with work colleagues. And this is also precisely one of the reasons, when you come back from work, you are exhausted. But this wasn’t work. They were supposed to be surrounded by real friends, people that cared about them and loved them. And yet, an overwhelming feeling of fear was palpable in the room.

Since I have left the JWs, I meet with new friends where such a feeling is not so crushing. Of course there are always things you may think of and keep for yourselves. However, when it comes to true friends, you shouldn’t have to measure and analyse every thoughts you have. You are supposed to be able to say crazy and even offending things to your friends. Why? Because real friends will always forgive, forget and focus on what they always loved about you in the first place, whatever that is. Not so with the witnesses. Say one wrong thing and it could be disaster.

By the end of that evening (and following breakfast), I was extenuated, inexplicably tired, unable to focus on anything. I had ran a mental marathon. I wasn’t sleepy, I was just unable to use my head anymore… it had overheated. So I took the day off. I couldn’t work even if I tried. So instead, I enjoyed the day with my wife. Still, while shopping and at the restaurant, I couldn’t help but reflect on the fact that in the end, I was also experiencing hurt and pain from this encounter; I was grieving! Grieving that these people are actually causing me more despair than anything else in my life right now. What even hurts even more is the fact that they truly believe that they are my friends. But their friendship is toxic; they are not themselves and don’t allow me to fully be myself in their presence. Perhaps a better expression would be: “They’re a bunch of phonies”. And dam: being around phonies is exhausting!

• Giordano
    Giordano

We've experienced that with former JW friends. I say former because they went on with the religion and we saw no reason to be guarded in what we said or our life choices......so those relationships were pretty much over.

Where it really was tense was with my JW mother and Uber sister. It was impossible for my mother or sister to relate to anything in our lives and we sat quietly while they discussed the 'friends', the KH .....the brothers........... the lovely JW families that went to their Hall etc.

It really is a closed end social club. It was also the 800 pound gorilla that used up all of the oxygen in the room.

• kpop
    kpop

“They’re a bunch of phonies”.

You summed up the JW cult very succinctly. Thanks for the thread!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STEPHANELALIBERTE:

I totally agree. I can relate to your story because MY only contact with Witnesses since I am a longtime "fader" is going to funerals. I won't go to the hall but I'll go to the funeral home.

Not too long ago I attended a wake for an elderly JW who passed away. I went for a few reasons: to say hello to their "inactive" children (who are doing fine) and also to see certain active JWs I haven't seen in over a decade. Some of these people I liked and it's too bad.

I made sure I stayed not too long and kept the conversation "light" with the JWs. Unlike you, there's no way I would have gone anywhere with them. Also, for me, alcohol is truth serum and I'd never have a drop while I was around JWs.

I know what you mean about it being exhausting. When you have to weigh your words and not be able to relax and be yourself it is taxing. Back when I was in if I slipped and said something "inappropriate", I could count on getting a phone call. Who would tolerate this nonsense at this point?

When all these older JWs are gone, that's it. I will never again have a reason to be congregated in the same room with a bunch of JWs!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Being a J.W. nowadays means living a life of "walking on eggshells", because any one of your conditional friends is likely to stick a knife in your back if you cast aspersions on anything org-related.

It's become the religious equivalent of North Korea.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Merci, Stephane.

How I relate to your story and all the more so as I have nearly ceased mourning my loss of JW kith and kin. It's almost as though my broken heart has, by imperceptible degrees, healed, and I want to move on. As a people person, I could not feel whole and complete as a human being without certain people continually contributing to my life and I to theirs. So many loved ones have departed from my intimate circle, never to return. I'm not speaking only of literal death either.

There no longer is anything to discuss. I used to make such an effort to switch over to JW-mode, you know, the walk, the talk. It was so easy. smoothly transitioning from the new "worldly" back into the pious-but-not-too-stiff righteousness of a true believer.

THANKS!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hanging out with JWs is exhausting!

They were not themselves! None of them truly were! During the discussion, you could tell when someone wanted to go into a subject and stopped.

None of them can trust each other, they`re all WatchTower Rats..

Image result for informant snitch

• sparky1
    sparky1

Yes it certainly is emotionally difficult to carry on a conversation with many Jehovah's Witnesses. You never really know which 'face' you are talking to.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My spouse and I were talking about this subject yesterday. I told him it is like a BIG pink elephant is sitting in the room. Everyone knows it is there but just won't acknowledge it. I think there are more JW's that you can imagine who have one or more issues and doubts with WT.

JW's are all about appearances and don't want anyone to think they are anything but the purest of the pure. I call them whitewashed graves full of dead mens bones. It is exhausting but also very sad. I can't imagine carrying on a relationship with anyone who can't express themselves. I think so many of them are paranoid that they will be "marked" or talked about ("I think so and so is an apostate...oh my").

I am so thankful that we no longer have to put those "performances" on. I feel so much better being free of this draining cult.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've never experienced this with coworkers. I'm always myself around them and they seem themselves as well.

With JWs, that's another story. I can so relate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit