Have you ever known elders who were more into being and elder than really being a believer?

by phoenixrising 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

is the title that makes them feel entitled.

with the title they also loose common sense and replace it with obedience to a manual.

the secret book makes them feel they are part of a secret group.

i remember seeing that book on the table when i was little and when i asked my father what book was it... he took it immediately and said - you can't read it. only elders.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I would say the greater majority for this simple fact: Most of them don't agree with some teaching and yet, will teach it from the platform. Then, with they friends and family, will never contradict what ever they said on the platform. Would this actualy be the actions of a true believer? Teaching things they don't personally accept?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHOENIXRISING:

Where else but in the Witness religion could you have a guy who has no status in the REAL world..elevated to feel important (or at least important in the little fishbowl he’s in)?

This is not to say that there haven’t been elders here and there who were really caring or tried. But, unfortunately most in later years I was in the religion were company men. I pretty much stayed away from them..not even greeting some of them. They were nothing more than fault finders who would ask for favors. My answer was always No.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Where else but in the Witness religion could you have a guy who has no status in the REAL world..elevated to feel important (or at least important in the little fishbowl he’s in)?

Imagine, I was disfellowshipped by two gardeners and a bus driver.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I was one of these within the last few years. I woke up when I was a MS and then 3 years later I became a Elder. I actually didn't bother anyone because I didn't believe it so I wasn't the counsel/pushy type.

I enjoyed the parts and the "responsibilities". I like to keep busy and work hard.

I actually started feeling bad for a lot of the elders while I was one. For about 90% of them, it's all they have. Their only success and achievement is being an elder. I've seen so many of them fight for their life to keep the title because it was all they had. Months and months of stress just for the hope that they can hold onto it. Once I realized that, it made stepping down that much easier. I didn't want that to be me.

Since then, I drink a lot less and only enjoy 1-2 drinks now and then. As an elder, it was every night. You are literally the Borgs lap dog.

I came to the realization that the more "privileges" you have, the less power and authority you actually have. Your "privileges" are constantly brought up and dangled in front of you as a a reason to fall in line. Joe Publisher with zero things in the congregation actually holds the most power. As long as he isn't doing a DF offense that is out in the open, there's really nothing they can do to him on the lesser things. I had this WTF moment when I realized that and took my first opportunity that came my way to step down.

Since then, I put my time and energy into my business and family. I've been a lot happier and I got to enjoy hobbies again! I never realized how much I gave up, things that I loved doing, just to be an elder.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

kids in one congregation in the UK called this TV advert "the elders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MTgjNkfyI

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Yes, I've known many who were only in it for the "glory". What they don't seem to realize is that the top turd on the shit pile is still only a piece of shit!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have known too many that were more about their job than being a Christian.

Having been on the BOE, I hope nobody saw me that way. I will say though, that when you are in that position, the job can easily take over. Each meeting is an opportunity to see the other elders and discuss things that seem so important. The pressure to report good field service while preparing then delivering talks and items is so great that the original faith can get easily forgotten.

• Dubfounded_12
    Dubfounded_12

I think the praise and power is certainly a factor in any mans desire to be an elder.

Of the ones I knew, and it was a lot, including family members I’d say it would encompass all of them in some way.

• LauraV
    LauraV

Eldership is a men's club where everyone has the power to run or ruin I should say peoples lives

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit