Is it just me or is this weeks CLAM more "cultish" than usual?

by NikL 13 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

Maybe it was my mood, but last night the meeting seemed really over the top cultish.

Mainly the latter portion that just focused on presentation videos which always seem creepy to me anyway.

Then the local needs was pre-empted by a video all about LDC which seemed completely pointless. (on a side note my wife knew a couple of different people in it)

The congregation "bible" study which dealt with the ever changing cover of the Watchtower magazine. No bible study at all again I am afraid.

Then they wrapped it up with one of the older songs that I find offensive. Song 8, "Jehovah Our Strength"

1. Gracious Jehovah, our strength and our might,
    You are our Savior, in you we delight. (I thought Jesus was our savior)
    We are your Witnesses bearing your news, (I thought it was the good news of the Christ)
    Whether men hear or they proudly refuse.
    (CHORUS)
    Jehovah, our Rock, Our strength and our might,
    Your name we make known Both day and night. (I thought it was Jesus name we were to make known)
    Glorious Jehovah, Almighty in pow’r,
    You are our hiding place; You are our Tow’r.

2. We who now serve you rejoice in your light;
    Eyes that are opened now see truth and right.
    Searching the Scriptures, we hear your command; (which command is that? Love enemies? Pray for those persecuting you?)
    Making our choice, for your Kingdom we stand.
    (CHORUS)
    Your name we make known Both day and night.

3. Gladly, O God, we keep doing your will.
    Though Satan mocks us, we’re trusting you still.
    Though he may slay us, oh, help us to be
    Firm to the end for your grand Sov’reignty.
    (CHORUS)
    Your name we make known Both day and night.

• sir82
    sir82

The LDC video is probably there to quell any grumblings about "why are we not building Kingdom Halls anymore?"

Most JWs are sheep, but there may be a few who recall the Great WTS Cash Grab from 3 years ago, when congregations sent in millions of $$$ they had saved, ostensibly for building new Kingdom Halls, and there's been like 10 built in the entire USA in that time.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I see they've tweaked the lyrics in that song.

Back in the 70's-80's, I memorized all the Kingdom Melodies.

I think that is part of JW's malaise, also.

They keep messing with your mind!

Can you imagine the uproar if anyone did that with Amazing Grace?

Amazing Grace, how dear the voice

That called a slave like me

I once was sad, but now rejoice

Was bound, but now I'm free

I submit there would be a revolution!

Sylvia

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

When i was in they were just starting to push the video presentations on the door. I never did video presentations myself on the ministry. It was bad enough offering mags that nobody wanted.

As for the songs. I do think some of them are quite catchy, but i hate the stupid reverse word order they use to make things rhyme. Pity they didnt enlist the services of Prince in the bethel writing dept. Could've had some bass and high pitched falsetto.

• Spiral
    Spiral

@pale.emperor, yes, having Prince write music would have been such an improvement!

Personally, I think all the new format CLAM meetings are extra cultish. Plus how the WT is handled. My biggest irritant is the "READ" scripture. Only a few scriptures are sited and they tell you which one the congregation can read. Treating the rank and file like children..... and they fall for it every time. The CLAM meeting is just pre-chewed food for babies.

Thanks for the warning will not attend this week.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    pale.emporer - Pity they didnt enlist the services of Prince in the bethel writing dept. Could've had some bass and high pitched falsetto.

Imagine the song titles:

House 2 House

Jehovah Loves U

Let's Go Preaching

J C Died 4 U

Give Headship

The Holy 7

Nothing Compares 2 Watchtower

1260 Days

Nu Lite

When Sisters Cry

D'fed 4 U

Money Does Matter 2 Night

3 Elders

Darling Governing Body

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Actually....off the record....Prince did make some. Also the other musical elite (like Philip Ingram). They have done this for a long time. Usually only shared with close friends. I have heard them. They are damn sure better than the songbook.....but still......not good.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

"Stayed Upon Jehovah" is a little more interesting

1. Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace,
      Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
      Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
      Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way.
      • Refrain:
        Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
        Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.
    2. Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
      Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
      Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
      Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.
    3. Every joy or trial falleth from above,
      Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
      We may trust Him fully, all for us to do;
      They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.
    4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIcKms_IUY
  • tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

ldc?

Laodicean Decorating Committee?

(sorry I've been out for a while)

"God's Acronym Army is Advancing"

:0)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather bring in the Billy Idol album Devil's Playground and put that CD in the player. From there, I would play the song Plastic Jesus and see how long it takes for people to realize that, not only the jokehovian religion but the whole LIE-ble is bogus. And those videos? Better to watch YouTube videos on whatever you see fit--some pro-Hitler material would be appropriate in place of the washtowel videos. At least Hitler did quite a bit of good--including building the first Interstate system (and saving many lives each year, both in his country and worldwide where countries copied this system, through not having accidents because of safer roads).

And I wish Spectrum would put their throttling program to good use and drastically throttle those washtowel videos. You know, providing only 4 kB/sec instead of the 2 GB they are getting. Perhaps if people see videos and Kingdumb maladies stuttering and buffering instead of playing through, they might realize the whole thing is not from some almighty source.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit