Serendipity

by SheilaM 11 Replies latest jw friends

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

The Merriam-Webster dictionary describes this word as: “the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for”; in other words, gaining something good, from something bad or accidental.

Many of us can relate to this. Take an unplanned pregnancy for one thing. Yes, the pregnancy was ‘accidental’, and maybe now isn't the ideal time for a child, but often the end result is one of elation. We have now brought another human being into this world, and it is little and cute and absolutely perfect. Serendipity.

This can be applied to many personal relationships as well. Suppose that you have a huge dispute with a co-worker you barely even noticed before. As you sit there seething and thinking of ways to slaughter her, she comes over and very humbly apologizes. Yes, you are caught off guard, but you accept the apology nevertheless (especially since she has offered to treat you to lunch at this great new place that has just opened up the street). So see, you got something valuable from this heated disagreement, a free meal. Oh wait, that wasn't the point. During this lunch you discuss the argument (like adults) and realize two things, the whole thing was a misunderstanding, and turns out the two of you have a lot in common. So ultimately, you made a friend that was not sought, from a rather ugly argument. Serendipity.

What is my point? Well in the above example an effort was made by both people. Even though there might've been pure hatred for a few moments they both came together and discussed the issue calmly and came to a resolution and maybe they each gained a friend. A clash of personalities, a misunderstanding, a perceived wrong, a prejudice, a misperception. These things happen all of the time; it is part of being human. But serendipity happens too. Often when one of these things happens you see another side to that person that draws you to them. It might be that they have successfully matched wits with you, or that they have shown vulnerability, or maybe you have been big enough to look past the bad and saw the good. Maybe this isn't serendipity at all; maybe it is just part of growing into a better person

For my friend

• little witch
    little witch

If a wrong can be made right, by understanding a persons different point of veiw,

then the world is a wonderful place to be....

Thanks for the insight, SheilaM.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

SheilaM -

Thank you for this thread.

Often out of chaos comes beauty....

Arrowstar

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Lovely post. Lovely thought.

• StinkyPantz
  • teejay
    teejay

These things happen all of the time; it is part of being human. But serendipity happens too.

Nice thoughts, Sheila. A nice way to end a stressful week. Life offers the bad and the good.

Thankyou.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm glad someone finally understands why I'm such a loveable and happy curmudgeon.

Thank you, my friend, for understanding.

Six~ on to the unplanned pregnancy class

• onacruse
    onacruse

Six and I have a serendipitous relationship

Oh my...not sure I like the way that sounds LOL

Craig

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

What I don't like is when a Frenemy apologises and you end up spending yet more lunches with someone you never really liked any way.

Can't they just fall out and go find another person to make miserable?

(Hoping this was the end of it Class)

PS Nice post though - esp. about the babies...

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Sheila some folks just have their minds made up about certain things and certain people and unfortunately may not change at all. That's sad because they're the ones who lose in the end. Sadder because when they're in the right position they can cause others to lose out as well.

We can only do our best to say what we've got to say and hope that we get listened to.

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit