What do you think of the phrase " You don't have all the facts, and I am not in a position to tell you what I know"?

by KateWild 24 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

What do you think of the phrase " You don't have all the facts, and I am not in a position to tell you what I know"?

Do you ever use it? Has this phrase ever been used with you?

I have my own opinions at present but I don't want to express them yet as they are subject to change.

Kate xx

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah I've heard this from Witnnesses. Basically it means:

1. "I've got gossip that I'm not sharing with you and I feel all superior about it."

or

2. "I know my actions look wrong or stupid but I'm going to pretend I've got a really good reason that I'm simply not allowed to tell you and you have to respect that because in some weird vague sense that I'm not going to spell out it is theocratic. So there!"

• KateWild
    KateWild

Lol hahaha. SBF, Thanks for your opinion you have some good points

Kate xx

• Zoos
    Zoos
    Sounds like a good comeback to a snoopy elder.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Interesting perspective zoo's I hadn't thought of that

Kate xx

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    It could be someone just protecting the boundaries of their friend, telling you there are private things here that they have promised not to divulge. It's difficult for me to comment Kate without knowing the circumstances xx
  • KateWild
    KateWild

It's ok Xant,

I just want to know the first thing that comes to mind for me to establish a balanced view about me saying it and about hearing it.

Kate xx

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Not telling people stuff you don't what to share is fine. But the demonstrably obnoxious routine of telling someone that you know something that you aren't going to tell them... rarely if ever necessary.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

I get your point SBF about it being a demonstrably obnoxious routine. Very good point.

Kate xx

• eva luna
    eva luna

I have heard this before.

It really boils down to who said it.

If it's a close friend, one that understands you. It's telling you to be cautious .

If not, it most likely is something not in your best interest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit