The one oclock meeting

by Steel 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

That is highly unusual if your hall only has 1 Congo.

Yes, I wonder what the reasoning was?

The first problem is when do you eat lunch? Early beforehand or later afterwards?

Secondly, it would seem that your Body of Elders have effectively killed off the Sunday Ministry for all apart from the uber-zealous

When do they expect the publishers to go out on the minstry on a Sunday?? I suspect from your description that your terittory AND publishers are spread out.

Ministry before the meeting is a push, particuarly if you're starting later on a Sunday and there's limited time in order to then have food (?) and actually get to the meeting - at least 20 minutes before it starts of course

Ministry afterwards is a killer - and rememeber you should associate after meeting, not rush off, and MSs have jobs to do, besides, again, when are you gonna eat? Even sandwiches need a time and place.

If you are the only congregation using the Hall, unless your Elders have an extremely good reason, I suspect the CO will make them go back to 10am.

Of course, your Elders might be trying to kill off Sunday Ministry anyway

And attendance... how far away is the next nearest Hall with a 10am meeting??

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I hated afternoon Sunday meetings even as a member of the R&F in good standing it could have been the catalyst for a fade from me on that issue alone, they had a vote for it one time because the ass of our PO in his old cong had afternoon meetings for many years so decided our cong should have it, he was outvoted, I saw the anger and rage in the tossers eyes that night

• smiddy
    smiddy

Donkeys years ago the hall I was in had a similar vote and it was about 50/52 in staying the same as we were used to .Not what the elders wanted

The next week the elders held another vote with a similar result .again not what the elders wanted .

The following week the elders had another vote ,myself and a couple of others wern`t able to attend that week .

The result went in favour of the elders to change the meeting times.

We never had another vote after that.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We had the rotating meeting times, with 4 congs. One year when the meeting got changed to 1:00 on Sundays, my home routine changed as well.

Most everyone hated the meeting to start so late. But I just started doing my grocery shopping on Sunday morning, got the crock pot set for supper, did the vacuuming or whatever chores I wanted, and then headed for the KH. When the meeting was over and we got home, we just relaxed and ate supper.

I thought people would be happy to hear about a good way to cope but nobody thought it was good. They all got mad at me for making the best of things, including the elders.

I really do think they hated it if everyone wasn't absolutely miserable.

• longgone
    longgone

You could plan on doing something you really like earlier in the week.

When Sunday rolls around you'll be anticipating your fun and meeting will be such a dismal option it will be easy to just skip it.

Repeat every Sunday. 😊

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they move the boasting sessions to times that create stupid hardship, I would attend the ones that are easiest for me to fit in other activity. It is spiritual trash to deny people any fun at all. Or, better yet, not going at all. You can get the spiritual filth online if you see fit--their own website makes that easy. That also goes for midweek boasting sessions on school nights. Too far past their bedtimes? They simply do not go. If they can't reasonably do their homework (and, for young children, there simply is too much), without excessively intruding on unstructured play time, they have no business going to a boasting session.

• Worldling9
    Worldling9

If you already attend rarely, it seems this would be a good opportunity to stop altogether. Obviously the new time just won't work for you.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    It's like everything in the religion is just to make life suck.

Now you're getting it.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lotta good advise here, i will just add my .02...

everything is a choice. You are choosing to go to the meeting as much as they choose to change the time.

A man chooses. A slave obeys.

Remind yourself of that as often as you need to... then choose.

Or obey.

the choice is yours

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Maybe they will be selling your hall off soon and getting everyone ready for the 1:00 meeting you will have at a neighboring hall? Just a guess...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit