Need Help Witnessing to JWs

by HuskerMike 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Again, my plan is to ask who do they say Jesus is, then go on from there.

They will say the "Son of God" "the first created being" etc. If you go along this route you are probably headed for a complex deity of Christ or Trinity "debate." They may even give you their 32 page "Should You Believe in the Trinity" brochure. These debates normally set up witness defenses and walls.

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Mike welcome & good LUCK, you're in the right place!

You will get a ton of advice and check out related past threads.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I had one show me that John 1:1 verse and I had a lot of fun with it:

You mean you JWs teach that Jesus is a GOD?? I didn't know that, I always heard that JWs don't accept his deity or his divinity. And there it is right at the beginning of John. Does that mean that you also accept what Thomas said about Jesus near the end of John? Can I see it in your NWT Bible? ------ Wow and they always told me JWs didn't believe in Jesus divinity - and there it is in your own Bible!

Gamaliel

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Since we don't know how familiar you are with the way JWs speak or think, you'd probably do best going to a few of the excellent exJW sites that people have already mentioned here. If you go to:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/28/default.ashx

...you'll find a whole list of them linked from threads on this forum. I'm sure you'lll find stuff you are comfortable discussing.

Gamaliel

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

What kept me in the organization was fear and emotional ties, nothing else. I knew intellectually that some of the dotrines were not my personal beliefs but I went along with it anyway because of the people I would lose. Personally, there was nothing anyone could say to part me from the JW's using a dotrinal discussion. You have to somehow reach their emotions. For instance, if you're going to talk about Blood Transfusions and you say, 'Do you have children? A spouse? Close family?' Make it personal for them, 'Your child/husband/mama is going to die and you 'faithfully' refuse a blood transfusion based on what the organization of JW's teaches' Now fast forward 20 years and all of a sudden, the organization decides that blood transfusions is a conscience matter for individual christians and it's not a shunning or disfellowshipping offense.' How would they feel?' Does God work that way, change his mind on a whim when it comes to life and death issues? If the JW claims that won't happen, tell them it already did a few decades ago over organ transplants. First it was okay, then it was wrong, evil, canniblism to get one, then a few years later - it's okay - that's after many 'faithful' JWs died for their beliefs. Ask them, 'What if one of your loved ones was affected? Sure they may be resurrected but their death didn't have to happen. Did God make the mistake or was it human error?' Something like that. Of course discuss what's comfortable for you but I think if you aim for the emotions rather than the intellect, that may prove to be effective. - Good Luck! Victorian Sky

• little witch
    little witch

Dear Husker,

Welcome to the board, first off.

Secondly, my advice to you is this,

More than a ''working knowledge'' is needed.

Jehovah's Witnesses cannot be ''logically'' reasoned with, so your attempts will probobly be futile.

It is very hard to explain the Jw mentality, there are many emotional issues involved, that you cant understand, not ever having been there.

I apologize if I have misunderstood you, but I am thinking you arent or never have been a dub, and are coming from a Christian perspective.

If this is the case, then you can do nothing but perhaps, ''plant a seed''.

To these people, you are satans son.

They want to convert you, and anything you say will simply make them more sure of the fact in their minds, you are demon possessed, and bird food.

You are better off to not meet with them, and leave them to learn from the ones who have walked a mile in their shoes...

• HuskerMike
    HuskerMike

that is what I feared. I am sure that it will turn to debate and they will go on their way. I also am fully aware that I may only plant a seed, so be it. That is my job as a Christian. Thank you for the warm welcome.

• HuskerMike
    HuskerMike

thank you for the advice. I will most definitely be asking those questions. I want to start with Christ, however, I am sure the conversation will disintegrate and will likely end once I start questioning their organization (which of course I will do).

• jgnat
    jgnat

Divinity of Jesus can be a minefield. I would not head for the Trinity topic. After all, after you are finished slugging bible verses at each other, who is going to phone up God get Him to explain His essential nature to you?

This is a good link,

http://www.watchtowernews.org/howto/index.htm

Avoid going on the defensive, trying to justify your beliefs about Christmas, Trinity, the cross. Instead, pick something loopy that the JW's insist on hanging on to. Like, how did a parable of the Faithful and Discreet Slave turn in to a prophecy? The parable of the ten virgins follow the FDS parable. Who are the ten virgins today?

There are a whole bunch of loaded phrases it would be best to avoid, such as Heaven (use Eternal Reward), Hell (just don't go there), God (use Jehovah), the Trinity (just don't go there).

• little witch
    little witch

Husker,

Thanks so much for understanding what I was trying to say, I appreciate it.

I was afraid to post to you, afraid you might take it wrong...Whew....

Nothing wrong with planting a seed, I understand that, and sometimes miracles happen, and I do wish you well.

It's just, like I said, they are a trick to deal with...Be strong, hun. Again, welcome to the board.

BTW, read around the posts, it will enlighten you to the mentality involved, and help you to deal with them in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit