The Sufficiency of Christ - Salvation

by JW Answers 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Can we rely solely on Christ and His sacrifice for our sins to be forgiven, or do we have to attribute our own works upon His finished work? This video gives an explanation of the sacrifices made for Israel under the law and what it meant at that time, and the sacrifice which Christ made for ourselves under the age of grace today

• cofty
    cofty

The Christian gospel has no appeal until it can persuade you that you are thoroughly depraved.

In a nutshell Jesus' message is - 'you are a worthless piece of shit. Love me or I will torture you forever'.

The Jesus of the New Testament is like an abusive husband. The gospel is a dehumanising message.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    the sacrifice which Christ made for ourselves

WHy cant god fix things without this horrible and gruesome death of Christ- termed as a sacrifice by Christians

I dont take that as a Sacrifice. If it was a sacrifice, what was the tangible outcome ? How did it make humans better ?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The sufficiency of the cross contradicts the errors of Calvinist theology.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Bottom line is if god needs to be worshipped then all he would have to do is one small act of kindness to the world and make it so the world could see this act and most people would instantly worship and gladly love the guy.

You don’t need to test people, sacrifice animals or your kids, kill people to show your the one that needs worshiped etc.. Again most people around the world want to believe want to worship and are more then willing to do it in anyway god wants, if it’s loving and god can prove he’s real.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If God is so loving, he should just FORGIVE without having to perform some barbaric blood-lust activity!

• cofty
    cofty

To the four people who disliked my post — and JWA in particular.

Please could you engage in a conversation? Tell me why you disagree. Am I wrong to say that the xtian gospel begins with an assertion about the depravity of man? Will Jesus punish those who disagree? Is it wrong to summarise the xtian message as, 'love me or else'?

This is supposed to be a discussion forum. When did xtians become so shy?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I disagree with your statement, "The Christian gospel has no appeal until it can persuade you that you are thoroughly depraved."

That is certainly Calvin's gospel, but not Christ's. The fact that all have sinned or will sin and all have fallen or will fall short of the glory of God, does not mean everyone is thoroughly depraved, incapable of repentance or good works.

In a nutshell Jesus' message is - 'you are a worthless piece of shit.

The message of the cross contradicts that sentiment utterly.

• cofty
    cofty
    That is certainly Calvin's gospel, but not Christ's.

It was Paul's gospel was it not?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Paul believed that by Christ’s death and resurrection a person is put into a restored relationship with God. He had several ways of explaining how it worked. But in all of these ways, it was Jesus’ death and resurrection that mattered. It was not keeping the Jewish law. It was not knowing or following Jesus’ teaching. It was not Jesus’ miracles. It was not … anything else. It was Jesus’ death and resurrection.

The teaching of Jesus himself was about the coming Son of Man and the need to prepare by keeping the Law of God, as revealed in the Torah, as summarized in the commandments to love God above all else and to love one’s neighbor as oneself.

Paul didn’t invent Christianity, he inherited his understanding of the death and resurrection of Jesus from those who came before him, even if he understood its significance for Gentiles differently from his predecessors.

Is the gospel that Paul preached essentially the same or different from the message of Jesus?

They are fundamentally different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit