Belgium: Jehovah’s Witnesses to face trial for discrimination and incitement to hate

by AndersonsInfo 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Jehovah’s Witnesses to face trial for discrimination and incitement to hate

https://www.thebulletin.be/jehovahs-witnesses-face-trial-discrimination-and-incitement-hate?fbclid=IwAR3wROAXyiAdW0LOMGMWaY-jKwZgzQXTSWSID1d2lxHJGTnDnfvvcLqboO0

"While Jehovah’s Witnesses have been the target of civil court cases before, this is the first time an entire congregation has ever been charged with a crime."

The Belgian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses attended a hearing yesterday in criminal court in response to charges of discrimination based on religious beliefs and incitement to hatred. It is the first time that the Jehovah’s Witness are being tried in a criminal court anywhere in the world.

The congregation, which is based in Kraainem, is being given several months to prepare their case; the trial begins next February. The case follows a five-year investigation by a court magistrate in Ghent in response to complaints filed by Patrick Haeck, an ex-member.

“It’s an important precedent,” Haeck told VRT. “How is it possible that a religious community can commit a crime under the guise of freedom of religion?”

Haeck was a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses for 35 years and was an elder – someone with considerable authority within his local congregation in Ghent. When he exposed a case of sexual abuse within the congregation, he was officially shunned.

‘Shunning’

Jehovah’s Witnesses use shunning as a tactic to keep members from being disloyal to the group, he claims. “It’s worse than just being excluded,” Haeck told Het Nieuwsblad. “From the highest levels of the organisation comes the order that no one is allowed to talk to you, not even your own family. They declare that this person must be avoided because they have a mental illness that is contagious.”

Several more former Witnesses have joined the complaint, and stories have flowed out from former members who have been shunned. Cecile Temmerman was a Witness for 35 years when her son began to ask critical questions of the congregation's elders.

“I knew hundreds of people in the congregation; almost every day someone came over to visit,” she told Het Nieuwsblad. “From one day to the next, everyone turned their back on me.” She means that literally and figuratively: Witnesses physically turn away from members who are being shunned.

‘In the hands of Satan’

READ MORE: https://www.thebulletin.be/jehovahs-witnesses-face-trial-discrimination-and-incitement-hate?fbclid=IwAR3wROAXyiAdW0LOMGMWaY-jKwZgzQXTSWSID1d2lxHJGTnDnfvvcLqboO0

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Yay Belgium!

• gone for good
    gone for good

Barbara -

Do you know if this case will rely, in any respect, on information reviewed in the recent exoneration of Regina Spiess in Switzerland?

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Death to the cult by a thousand cuts.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Haeck was a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses for 35 years and was an elder – someone with considerable authority within his local congregation in Ghent. When he exposed a case of sexual abuse within the congregation, he was officially shunned.

It will be interesting to see how his attorney characterizes damages.

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

Barbara in relentless . I meet her at the Silent lambs March on Brooklyn bethel. She really cares

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thanks barbara and Joe for this info.I `ll look forward to see how this plays out in a court of law .But i won`t hold my breath because the law can be an ass at times.

However it is good publicity for Belgium`s to know what goes on in WT /JW religion.A good anti-witness.

• careful
    careful

Thanks for the post! This will be worth watching.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

POOR WATCHTOWER!

Digital piggy bank sevice broken into by cybercrooks – Naked Security

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Whatever happens, it’s all negative publicity for the cult, which will hopefully prevent anyone in Belgium from getting involved once they read about it in the papers/online etc

Most witnesses will bracket it as ‘persecution’, but if this sort of stuff keeps happening I’ve no doubt it will be the catalyst for others to wake up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit