Re-read Animal Farm.

by The Rebel 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Down the memory tube, rewriting history. Knowing it's wrong, but erasing the memories to survive.

It is what the WTS ( and others) do. But it is especially striking with the WTBTS and the behavior of the Borg and the members fear of questioning.

It's also very similar to the NK situation. And with technological foresight such as large flat screen TVs to indoctrinate and to spy.

Yet, Orwell wrote this SO long ago.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Yes, I will certainly read that.

I have read 1984, and it is so appropriate for witness life!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

In fact animal farm has been resting on the shelf above our bed's headboard for years now. It would be easy for the husband to pick it up in a time of boredom, or curiosity, back pain keeping him in bed...... not happened yet though.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I didn't read Animal Farm until I was an adult and out of the bOrg for quite some time but I definitely saw the parallels. I think it was wise of my school to not allow such a subversive book into its Lit class and I can't even imagine a JW reading this book among friends and not getting a visit from the elders; any book by Orwell is like a ticking time bomb in an authoritarian regime! The character I related to the most was the cat. I think she saw clearly what was happening, but knew that no one would listen to her, so she made the best of the situation and then bailed before the witch trials began.

Incidentally, I was watching a video yesterday on YouTube about Orwell's life. Since he was never recorded on film, they hired an actor to portray him and recite some of his recollections.

https://youtu.be/s6txpumkY5I

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

I read AF so long ago I don't remember it. I'm going to reread it.

I was able to download it to the kindle app for free as an Amazon Prime member.

• Bangalore
  • kpop
    kpop

Everyone seriously needs to read not only Animal Farm but also 1984, both by George Orwell. Seriously.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

The poor horse that gets sold to the glue factory. That's Ray Franz right there.

• kpop
    kpop

Speaking of George Orwell....

Does anyone want to see exactly what George Orwell was warning about?

Google Rewrites Its Powerful Search Rankings to Bury Fake News

The Alphabet Inc. company is making a rare, sweeping change to the algorithm behind its powerful search engine to demote misleading, false and offensive articles online. Google is also setting new rules encouraging its “raters” -- the 10,000-plus staff that assess search results -- to flag web pages that host hoaxes, conspiracy theories and what the company calls “low-quality” content.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-25/google-rewrites-its-powerful-search-rankings-to-bury-fake-news

I hope everyone understands why this is a very slippery slope and very, very dangerous. Of course, we all hate fake news (other than CNN) but fortunately, we are all smart enough to spot the fake news almost immediately and I personally never post anything unless I can verify the info myself with other searches.

The question is, who gets to say what is a "conspiracy theory" or what is "offensive" or not? What if the staffers that work at Google have a very liberal ideology (many do) and flag more conservative websites as "offensive?" The same problem exists for those who want to attack free speech simply because they do not agree with it. I loved Goog's algos for image searches, program codes, etc, but I have already begun to use Turboscout and Metasearch which searches multiple engines at once and like asking different doctors for their opinions, you will find the searches vary greatly.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Going to re-read both.

Thanks.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit