Cain and Abel

by Freedom rocks 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

I love this from the atheists book of bible stories

Cain and Abel THE SACRIFICES

For some reason, these two boys got it into their heads that God liked gifts. There is no record of sacrifices prior to this point. The concept of sacrifice appears to be a later development that is transposed back on this ancient setting by a later writer. Where did Cain and Abel get this idea, and how did they know what to offer?
    Particularly, how could they possibly have known that God preferred dead animals over vegetables? Actually, this whole preference seems to be backwards. You would think that God would not want his precious, freshly created animals to be slaughtered and hacked up. If anything, the produce of their farm would be humanity’s most valuable possession, and would therefore be the most valued sacrifice.

Let’s modernize this a bit. Imagine that you have two children. One of them picks a flower and presents it to his mother as a gift. The other one slits the dog’s throat and throws him on the barbie. Which is the good one?
    I think God should rethink this part of the story, and make Abel the bad guy.

What do you think?

• stillin
    stillin

Yes. It seems that Able had a bit of a cruel streak and he was blaming it on God. The innocent look on his face must have driven Cain into an angry fit. Cain loved God's furry creatures and was, at first, trying to appease God for his brother's bad behavior by putting out vegetables for Him if He wanted them. Apparently, God asked Cain to handle the situation on Earth in whatever way he thought best. So he gave Able a dose of his own medicine.

• waton
    waton

Particularly wrong because just out of paradise, where the were only vegetarian dogs and lions, meat had to got rid off asap. With meat only after the opening of the trap door of the ark allowed as food., Abel was the smart one, offering offal. but the bible is true, it says:

The one with thinking ability will be hated.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The best story of Cain and Abel comes from Steinbeck's novel East of Eden. Much better than the bible version.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The original story of Cain and Abel was about two lesser gods trying to win the approval of Enlil (Sumerian god of sky) if I remember correctly.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Yes. It seems that Able had a bit of a cruel streak and he was blaming it on God. The innocent look on his face must have driven Cain into an angry fit. Cain loved God's furry creatures and was, at first, trying to appease God for his brother's bad behavior by putting out vegetables for Him if He wanted them. Apparently, God asked Cain to handle the situation on Earth in whatever way he thought best. So he gave Able a dose of his own medicine.

Ohhhh I like this version of the story. Absolutely awesome!

• waton
    waton

Abel, Adam, all vegetarians.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

After leaving the JWs I finally and truly ready the whole bible, well except for all those he is the father of so and so, and that guy is the father of so and so, that part made my eyes gloss over. And I came to the conclusion about god in the bible. Jesus said you know me, you know the father, and they make him out to be this loving carrying god. Yet in the old testament, that god was a vengeful deity, and to me, he seemed a very bi-polar. My conclusion that the god throughout the bible is not the same entity. He can't be this loving carrying, just confess your sins and all is forgiven, and on the other hand, totally wiping out total civilizations on the other. Even what is mentioned in the old testament of the bible feels like it is talking about different beings, and they are trying to wrap it up into an all in one sort of thing.

That was what I got out of reading the bible.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If anything, the produce of their farm would be humanity’s most valuable possession, and would therefore be the most valued sacrifice.

My thoughts exactly and God should have been pissed off at the slaughter of animals he had created .And according to JW theology mankind still didn`t eat meat for another 2000 years ? Until after the flood of Noah`s day.

• venus
    venus

Surely, Abel is the bad guy. Story was obviously made to pay way for the greater story of the ransom sacrifice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit