Russia and the letter writing

by Listener 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

This is the whole of the instructions that the Watchtower gave JWs when writing to Russian officials -

Content • You are writing to the official to request his intervention. Express the hope that the Russian authorities will stop the legal action being taken against the branch office and the congregations in Russia so that our brothers and sisters can continue to gather peacefully for Christian meetings without interference. You could express appreciation for the laws of the Russian government that guarantee freedom of religion to all citizens. • Letters should be candid but respectful. Summarize key facts in your own words. Letters may refer to one or two facts listed below or more recent information published on jw.org. Keep in mind that “a mild answer turns away rage,” and “a gentle tongue can break a bone.”—Prov. 15:1; 25:15. • You could briefly mention how our meetings and publications have benefited you personally and your family. Do not mention the names of individuals in Russia who are Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Notice how they have been instructed to only address the request that they be allowed to meet together. Why not include the request to continue preaching or importing publications? The only focus is on meeting together, which requires Watchtower owned Kingdom Halls.
    Could I just read one scriptural point, because not all of the Commissioners were here for the hearing, and I - this is really the basis for our thinking on these scriptural matters on which we find disagreement. So we appreciate there is disagreement. This is in the Bible Book of Isaiah, chapter 33, and it talks about the laws under which Jehovah's Witnesses believe we come. Chapter 33, verse 22. It says:
    For Jehovah is our judge. Jehovah is our lawgiver. Jehovah is our king.
    So that covers every aspect of the legislative, the executive, the judicial process, all Jehovah God reserves to himself. Now, we understand scripturally he delegates some of that authority to congregations, to families, husbands, wives, parents. But ultimately, if God's word provides a direction on a certain doctrine, Jehovah's Witnesses are bound by that, regardless of how others may view that.

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

This is going around the congregations in my area:

Letter Template

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for sharing Tahoe. It is amazing how difficult it is for some JWs to follow instructions, only his final paragraph was in accordance with those instructions. Even posting the letter on his forum was ignoring the instructions which state "No copies of letters need to be sent to the elders, to the branch office, or to anyone else."

The response from one poster to that letter was very good, they said

I agree with Chris Mazz. We cannot accuse the church nor government officials of wrongdoing when we have no proof. We cannot even be considered eye witnesses of those things; such as planting evidence. We also don't get rid of or destroy our publications just because they ban them. We hide them. Let's be honest and stick to facts, leaving out unnecessary things, always remembering to keep our words seasoned with kindness and respect. And remember, these people are going to be inundated with literally millions of pieces of mail. Let's keep it short and to the point.

Good on this guy for his sincerity. The organization has posted a video (possibly two) claiming and visually showing officials planting banned material in a Russian Kingdom Hall and yet this guy reminds other JWs that they personally have no proof that this occurred. I have confidence that if he is a JW, he'll soon see through all the propaganda.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "...Jehovah is our judge. Jehovah is our lawgiver. Jehovah is our king..."

Putin's reaction: "Blahblahblah..."

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Putin will ask Trump. " What the hell?"

• NikL
    NikL

I asked my wife yesterday, how is this remaining neutral?

She of course had no answer for me.

The other thing is,this may backfire.

If those are the only instructions they are giving, imagine brother or sister "wrong in the head" writing Putin,..."you better not ban the witnesses or Jehovah is going to step in and destroy you and all of those that support you. Your carcasses will be left on the ground for birds to eat and me and mine will be living forever in a paradise while your bones decay under my front lawn".

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Was Paul not remaining neutral when he used the legal system of the Roman's not just to appeal his case but to appeal it to Ceasar. It is asking a government to abide by their own laws of freedom of religion and by the treaties that they are signatories to that require them to also provide freedom of religion. They are not running anyone for office to try and get it over thrown or any other political means. Using the court system is not a political act.

• NikL
    NikL

@Richard Oliver...

If you look at the laws that Russia has put in place as to what is "hate speech" and "extremist". You will see that JWs do fit the criteria in essence, breaking the law.

I concede your point as to Paul.

• dozy
    dozy

I really think this is a crazy idea. Do they seriously think that thugs like Putin and his henchmen , who think nothing of invading other countries or poisoning opponents with radioactive materials are just going to roll over after receiving thousands of letters from JWs? The real danger is that the letters backfire ( as in the case with the letters to Hitler ) and that some really serious persecution is unleashed.

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

NikL - I too thought they were supposed to remain neutral on all things political. I wonder if silence is the reaction all jws are giving when faced with the neutrality question?

I also thought they wanted governments to turn on religion because this is a sign that the big A is starting? Didn't they show it in a video at their last convention when they were meeting in secret and the authorities showed up in the last scene? I thought they were looking forward to this actually happening because they see it as prophecy? I'm confused as to why they would try to stop it from happening by writing a bunch of letters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit