JW Losses Civil Case Against Hospital

by John Davis 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• John Davis
    John Davis

JW Family loses a civil case against a PA Hospital where the mother died after bleeding following child birth.

http://law.justia.com/cases/pennsylvania/superior-court/2017/1838-eda-2015.html

• waton
    waton

thank you for posting that link. Brave doctors to take on recalcitrant blood refusers at all. In hindsight different procedures could have been followed from the start, but an undetected , unknown abnormality of the Uterus proved to be the achilles heel.

sad loss, wt probably just as correct in this doctrine as in their dating.

• never a jw
    never a jw

the loss of lives, the waste of resources provided by hospitals, government, courts and taxpayers. All of it just because people want to live inn the dark, in ignorance. JW's leaders are the ones who should get sued, not the good people who make every effort to save lives, but have to put with the GB bullshit.

• possum
    possum

Extremely traumatising process for the hospital staff as well.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

That was heartbreaking to read. I did learn a few things.

First I did not know that the filtration process involved in the cell saver process strips the blood of platlets and any coagulation ability.

Also they transfused a liter of Albumin. That seems like a lot! to make a liter of Albumin i can only imagine how many peoples donated blood would make that up. Albumin is only 2% of whole blood volume at best. So I suppose 50 peoples donated blood was used to make this one liter of Albumin, rather than her just accepting ONE PERSONS BLOOD to help get her out of the woods.

The surgery was complicated, and it seems like the doctor might have made an error with the odd shape of the side of her uterus. But not having the tools at their disposal to help her.....can you imagine the scenario?

they used Albumin, anticoagulants, multiple medications and volume expanders, many of which contained parts of blood. This makes no sense! The bleeding could have been stopped through blood being infused with its normal clotting factor most likely.

Even the JW's own expert said a blood transfusion would most likely have saved her life.

If they ever find out this doctrine is nonsense......can you imagine the crushing guilt they would feel?

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I just saw that three clerical members of his staff were i fact Jehovahs Witnesses.

they were denied using a particular expert witness because essentially they said he had no real expertise in "bloodless medicine" and didn't even "have a basic grasp of what it entails". Dr Ronald Paynter. I can't help but wonder if he is a JW.

But they sued this hospital for essentially not properly staffing its bloodless medicine program? For real?

The expert that was allowed is Dr Minda Green, and her birthday cake on facebook reveals she is not a JW.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It is perhaps best to allow Darwinism to work in cases like this. Stupid people die when they make bad decision, and that only improves the gene pool for future mankind.

• steve2
    steve2

Thank goodness the jury found medical staff not guilty!

I just cannot get my head around why the deceased's family brought a complaint against the hospital in the first place.

Given the hospital specializes in bloodless treatments, the JW patient's and her family's solid refusals to accept any type of blood transfusion whatsoever (even autologous transfusions), and the medical staff's ballooning concerns and attempts to convey the urgency of the need for blood, what on earth were the grounds for the complaint?

This smacks of a deceased patient's family seeking to work through their grief by shifting the blame to the very medical health professionals who tried so damn hard to work within the confines of their patient's religious obstinance.

• Chook
    Chook

It's like asking carpenter to fix a house without a hammer , someone has to be a scapegoat for the GB hardline interpretation of scripture. The uneducated suing doctors doesn't seem like a victorious outcome. Common sense prevails ,

• smiddy
    smiddy

For some reason I could not read the case mentioned ,

However for family members suing the hospital staff who are responsible for looking after the patient and she dies because of rejecting doctors recomendations as to what treatment she should be receiving ,

is simply pathetic.

It just simply seems that they are wanting financial gain from the restrictions they themselves and the deceased placed on the medical profession and they didnt get the outcome they were hoping for.

For doctors ,surgeons and medical staff assisting in operations involving Jehovahs Witnesses be aware that you may be sued if the patient dies regardless of your efforts to save them simply because they refuse your advice as to what is the best medical procedure that is available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit