worldlies at the KH?

by smurfette 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smurfette
    smurfette

Has anyone here ever brought a never a JW spouse or significant other to a KH function like a wedding, funeral, or even a meeting? How did they react?

Or have you ever had your spouse or significant other express concern that you might rejoin the borg after going back to the KH for a family event?

I recently brought my husband of 9 years to a KH for the first time for a funeral and he was astounded by the pompousity and utter lack of biblical knowledge the speaker posessed. He was impressed yet not by their seemingly telepathic ability to hone in on the fact he was never a witness as soon as he walked in the door and greet him in a vigorously friendly manner. He was particularly struck by the way the speaker would randomly read scriptures out of context jumping all over the bible. My husband is not any shape or form of christian but he has read the bible cover to cover on his own and retained what he read. He was particularly upset when Ezekiel was quoted for some namby pamby point and my husband knew it was out of context. "How could he quote Ezekiel like that! Ezekiel was a throw down Mother _____!" He told me after it was over he had been worried that if I subjected myself to their teachings again I might rejoin, but after seeing what they teach first hand and my reaction to it he is no longer worried.

Just curious what your experiences might be-

-Margy

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, my grandma was a witness, I was DF, and none of my family members where JW's when we all went to the KH for my grandma's funeral. UGH. The speaker kinda blew away any lil' spark of positive feelings my family might have had for the JW's when he said "Sister K. also had a lot of resistance from her family who were against the truth, and that is horrible, it would be easier to be in an concentration camp than to have your own children be opposed to your religion" The idiot.

It was the only time I went inside a KH after getting DF. I vowed never to step foot into one ever again, no matter what the occasion.

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• integ
    integ

I attended a "get together" at a Bo's apartment, and they were doing "witness karaoke". That is, singing kingdom melodies to the orchestral soundtrack. We were each handed song books and instructed to pick out a song to sing, Well, this one weird sister was singing "Life without end at last" and when she got to the part "you too can have a part......." she was literally singing in this invited bible study's face. The bible study looked very scared, and her fear was compounded when the weird sister started pointing directly at her everytime the word "you" was sung. The 'study" needless to say did not get up and sing, despite the encouragement of the weird sister. By the way, I did'nt sing either. The "study" was never heard from again.

Thanks for the memories,

Integ.

• shamus
    shamus

OMG,

Vi, that is a horrible story! What idiots they really are!

Integ, that is about par for the course in witness mentality. See why I chose worldly friends? They were all FREAKS!!!

• happyout
    happyout

My hubby went to my Dad's funeral, which, although not held at a KH was mostly attended by witnesses (my dad was never a witness, but my mom and siblings are hard core). He was amazed at the way some people took the opportunity to tell me I should know better, and needed to just come back to the hall. He felt (rightfully so) that they should not intrude upon my grief with their propoganda. Every so often I will ask if I have prejudiced him against the JWs, and he says no, he would have never been interested after they started telling him all the restrictions anyway.

A long time ago we took my Grandma and Aunt to hear my brother's first talk. They are staunch Baptists, and used to a very lively service. As he came to the podium, they both started saying things like, "Amen" and "hallelujah". Throughout his talk they interjected things like "preach" "save me Jeeeeezus". We were cracking up almost the whole time. I have no idea how my brother made it through with a straight face.

Happyout

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am used to live music, spontaneous unscripted testimonies, in-context reading of bible verses, speakers who adjust their own mikes, children running in the aisles, and people who open their mouths when they sing.

What I saw was more like a business meeting. They stuck to the schedule like clockwork. If that was supposed to impress me with their unity, it did nothing of the kind. What came to mind instead was robotic devotion to formula. I wondered if they thought God carries a stopwatch. It was kinda funny watching the fellas running around with the mikes.

Is it a local custom to raise the hand with the palm facing inward? The only other person I see do that is the Queen of England.

• Austrian
    Austrian

Integ that is too funny!!! I remember those lame ass get togethers with Jdub karaoke...

• Panda
    Panda

smurfette, I did bring my Mom to a District Assembly, eons ago.... She never made a rude remark. She did her best to be positive and talked about the clean kids and well dressed people. Now I realize she was stretching for me. She travelled up to Wallkill with my elder/reg.pio. husband and me(no Paterson existed at that time) Our host told us that she couldn't stay there but they'd get her another place to stay.

I cannot believe I let strangers take my mother off to sleep elsewhere and I thought it was fine.

How she stood the whole thing w/o strangling me I don't know. My Mom took our host Pete and the 2 of us out to dinner b/c at breakfast we were told that she should not be sitting there with us! (at the caf...oh excuse me the dining room because she was not a borg.) The only time she asked any questions was at the Brooklyn tour. She was a staunch believer in education (so upset about the lack of encouragement to attend university) she asked "what about when you need an architect or engineer? you'll need to hire someone ." The tour guide answered "[ that ]Jehovah would provide what we needed at the proper time." AAAAAARRRRGHHHHH She tried so hard for me, I never realized her own self-sacrifice and strength to try to make my choice seem "OK" with her. Love. That's what I'm talkin' about.

"Our day will come old friend, just not today."

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Nope, I kept my worldly friends separate from KH friends, like George Constanza said "worlds collide"

• Room 215
    Room 215

Considering what passes for Sunday "public talks" these days, with their frequent recourse to esoteric JW ``Theocratese" jargon, extensive often-verbatim reading from sizeable segements of Watchower bound volumes and other JW literature, it's clear that the Society has abandoned any pretense that the Sunday series is a venue for the general public to come and learn more about the Bible JW-style.

For at least a decade, maybe more, it's turned inward and has increasingly focused its preaching to the ``converted" at these Sunday propaganda sessions, and the agenda is for the type of talks we used to call ``service talks" often given by visiting Bethel speakers on Saturday nights and intended mainly for the JWs.

It be a miracle for any member of the uninitiated public to comprehend the current lot of Sunday offerings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit