What was Jesus "anointed" as?

by Doug Mason 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

It is illogical to say that “Jesus was anointed as Christ”. That’s like saying that “Jesus was anointed as anointed”. It says nothing. The question that needs to be asked is: “What was Jesus anointed as?”

Anointing in the Hebrew literature (the Christian “Old Testament”) referred to becoming a Priest or a King. If that had been the understanding of the multitude in Jesus’ time, it would be seen as a threat to the Saducees on the one hand and to Rome on the other. Hence Jesus would not want his disciples to advertise that claim.

However, in the Jewish literature from the 3rd or 2nd century on, the concept of Messiah took on an apocalyptic eschatological meaning. This Messiah took on a transcendental supernatural dimension that fought, not against mortal enemies such as Assyria, Babylon, Persia, or Greece, but against powers in heaven, where war was raging. This supernatural dimension was responsible for the Dead Sea communities and similar last-day movements, including John the Baptist’s, which Jesus joined through his baptism.

Jesus is reported to be expecting the imminent final intrusion by God and he expected this Kingdom would be set up within the lifetime of his own generation. He already saw warring evil forces falling from heaven. His resurrection showed that this last day had started to arrive.

Thus to understand the anointing of Jesus requires understanding the Jews’ expectations that developed from the 3rd/2nd centuries, including in Daniel, Enoch, Jubilees, the Dead Sea scrolls, and so forth. This Jesus Messiah was appointed to the supernatural priesthood and kingship through a spiritual anointing (chrio).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good Post as usual Doug !

And this puts a new viewpoint on the way JW's view it, and you are absolutely right ! It puts further in to discredit the JW concept of a Paradise Earth, this Jesus Messiah would deal with the Evil Spirit Forces, and Heaven would of course then be free of them, the casting down of the Devil etc in Revelation, but this would cause in theory more trouble on Earth, for 1000 years.

But Heaven would be the ultimate Goal of Christians.

• Doug Mason
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you Doug, I have Downloaded the Book, and will read it at a later time, I still have a pile of books to read.

Having glanced at the Contents, it makes me realise what a Mammoth Task you have set yourself, with your Study of the 2nd. Temple period. You have my admiration, and thanks, for writing in a way that condenses the information in an easy to read and assimilate way !

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
    Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
    He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,
    And recovery of sight to the blind,
    To set free those who are oppresse

For the Lord declares, “I have placed my chosen king on the throne in Jerusalem, on my holy mountain.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Ok althogh you claim it is illogical many early christian sects believed in Jeus as a man until age 30 when he was anointed with 'the Christ'. As his death he 'entrusted his spirirt' (of Christ') back to God.

This is because the verse quoted from Ps.2:7 says that this is my son TODAY have I begotten you.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Godbeliever,

The passage at Isaiah 61/Luke 4 speaks of features of the anointing that would be associated with the imminent final eschatological divine intrusion into human affairs. It was not an appointing to become the leader of the religious community or of the royal household. The anointing of people such as David or of the High priest are irrelevant.

Eschatology speaks in terms of release from oppression, restoration of sight, and so forth. Jesus' resurrection was a sign that the final eschatological moment had arrived. His miracles were signs of the Last Days. Jesus had seen the evil spirits evicted from heaven.

It's all mystical and the roles of Pesher and of Midrash are pertinent here. The context of Isaiah 61 is the neo-Babylonian captivity and exile, and it was addressing that situation. Analyse the passage solely in its original context

Psalm 2 is saying that the Israelite nation was already God's Son and that their king was enthroned. Once more the role of Pesher comes into play. Read it literally in its own immediate context, for that was how it was written.

Doug

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Jesus does not mean Christ ☺️. The man Jesus was simply annoited as King like Israel kings of old. But his Kingdom is not of this world

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

I agree they were written in a literal context, but they were all prophecies. There is a fine between belief and non-belief. If you believe all it says in the Bible everything make sense, if not everything it's just a waste of time. After all we all believe in something. It s how our brain works . It gives us sense of purpose, sparing us from existential angst.

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Rather, we speak God’s wisdom, mysterious, hidden, which God predetermined before the ages for our glory, 8and which none of the rulers of this age knew; for, if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written:“What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard,and what has not entered the human heart,what God has prepared for those who love him, this God has revealed to us through the Spirit.

For the Spirit scrutinizes everything, even the depths of God. Among human beings, who knows what pertains to a person except the spirit of the person that is within? Similarly, no one knows what pertains to God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the things freely given us by God. And we speak about them not with words taught by human wisdom, but with words taught by the Spirit, describing spiritual realities in spiritual terms.14Now the natural person does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God, for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it, because it is judged spiritually. The spiritual person, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment by anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit