Shepherding visit

by donnye 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donnye
    donnye

I cannot seem to find any information on which elder/s are assigned to do a shepherding visit on a congregation member. Does one of them have to be the member's field group leader? Can any elders do a shepherding visit at a member's request? Many thanks.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The prescribed method is the service leader and whomever he chooses, maybe a ministerial servant. You can ask for someone else, they will exchange information anyway, especially if any flags are raised.

Most of us are looking for ways to dodge any visits

• Overrated
    Overrated

Personal issues is always a good excuse to keep nosey elders at bay. And tell them nothing.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I'll speak to you donnye from recent personal experience on this topic.

For the past 6 months to a year I've had numerous attempts made by various elders for a 'shepherding call' on myself. I've successfully thwarted each attempt by respectfully telling these meatheads that I'm doing great & am way too busy for their fuss!

I obviously know for a fact that their main reason for calling on myself is to put me on some sort of guilt-trip. The last thing they wanted to hear were such upbeat, cherry and optimistic replies such as I've been giving them.

The absolute last thing they want to hear is that a nearly inactive, very low hour publisher who rarely attends meetings (zoom & otherwise) and who shows very little interest in being in this religion is doing awesome independent of this cult.

Hope that helps!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Around here , U K, they are not doing shepherding visits at all, due to Covid lockdown. It is true that any elder could, in normal times , make a visit and a publisher could request any elder , but it usually the prerogative of the group leader. They are the ones supposed to be lookin g after the "sheep"

In practice, my wife, an active member has not had a sheperding call in years . It seems they can't be bothered.. it does not show on their report, they get no credit for it so , it is the first thing left to slide.

• dozy
    dozy

One of the elders is normally the field group leader as he ( in theory ) is supposed to know the individual. Normally another elder comes - sometimes from the service committee ( CBE / Service overseer / secretary ). A MS will tag along if it is a genuine "encouraging" shepherding call ( but these are very rare - most visits are for counsel purposes).

I was a JW for 40 years and had one shepherding call on me all that time and that had a counsel element. Conversely , I was an elder and probably made only 2 or 3 genuine no counsel shepherding calls during my 10 years.

• donnye
    donnye

Thank you very much indeed everyone! I must say, I don't get them often, shepherding visits, but they have only ever been upbuilding. It is just that, I was talking to an elder about would I be allowed to change field groups, and i had two choices in particular, or is there no point asking because of my location. He then asked why I would want to do that. I had to tell him that my leader never checks on me, and I am off sick for months at a time with disabling conditions, and he never gets spiritual food to me and I am exasperated keep asking and asking, even at the group in front of everyone i ask nicely, so do others, they get theirs, i dont. i have to presume he is overworked and has his favourites. well, i don't need him to like me personally, i just want my spiritual food in the door. so my friend elder said something about the organization book and how much work is involved in sorting who is in what group, so no, i could not change groups. then he said that i could ask any elder for a shepherding visit if i didnt have the courage to air my grievances with my group leader. He offered to do a shepherding visit with me, which i accepted with happiness. the next day he says that my group leader will be there because he is my group leader. I have been crying for days. all i have done is gone full circle. i begrudge that my leader only gives me attention when he has to - like when he had to ring me in the spring to say the public preaching work is cancelled due to the pandemic. having a visit now, would simply be a waste of everyone's time. I don't want to have the courage to point out his neglect of me - I am not perfect either!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@Donnye....have you considered mentioning to your elders that you are a member of this site ?

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

'my leader'?

Donnye - you say you are crying... think about it.

(Revelation 7:16-17) . . .They will hunger no more nor thirst anymore, neither will the sun beat down upon them nor any scorching heat, 17 because the Lamb, who is in the midst of the throne, will shepherd them, and will guide them to fountains of waters of life. And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes.”

If you stick with WT - you can get tissues on Amazon and they do home deliveries. Amazon will find you. If the elders can't find you, that's a good thing. You wont need so many tissues.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Theoretically, elders should be willing to make shepherding calls upon request. But I wonder if your group leader is a little fearful and feeling inadequate to help or build you up because of your physical issues or that he does not know what it is that you want or need from him. If that is the case, it might be helpful to find some theological issue that is troubling you and you need clarification on. One example might be if you lack assurance that you will survive Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit