Freedom from Religion

by bobld 8 Replies latest jw friends

• bobld
    bobld

It should be mandatory for S.C.Justices,judges and attorneys to take a four year course

on the history of religion,bible and the koran.Iam sure they would conclude that religion

has little value in society.There would be no such thing as religious accommodation(lawsuits)

because such values are based on someone's personal belief.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Everyone should have a comparative religion class while they're in grade school, atheism included. Not to teach any particular religion; I don't believe in anything close to public prayer. It doesn't have to be a four year course; just one semester would be fine.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

I agree. The religions of the world are basically lying to their members. I know I was manipulated and maneuvered through the Bible by the JW religion. As a kid you don't have the option of refusing your parent's chosen religion.

Religion is legalized fraud. Once you step outside of the confines of the religion you were born into and take a broader view, it all crumbles.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Forcing anyone to do or not do something will accomplish nothing but make the enforcer fall within the same tyrannical structure that the world's organized religions display.

Communist/leftist countries have tried, for almost a century now, to eliminate religion from it's lands. Although they have succeeded to certain extents in doing so, I doubt you would hardly find those places to be the utopias of the planet. Reason being is that ultimately, we must respect human conscience.

For whatever reason one might believe, whether through evolutionary process or because there is indeed a God that created us that way, we humans have displayed an innate necessity for spirituality, a need to connect to a greater good, usually done through worship of our believed deity. We cannot eliminate this through mandate. History has proven it.

Patience and love is key, not Tyranny.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sanchy - "... whether through evolutionary process or because there is indeed a God that created us that way, we humans have displayed an innate necessity for spirituality..."

I don't know about "spiritualty" per se...

x

...but community solidarity? Absolutely.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    t should be mandatory for S.C.Justices,judges and attorneys to take a four year course on the history of religion,bible and the koran.Iam sure they would conclude that religionhas little value in society.

I think you may be surprised how much they do know. Most judges have studied philosophy at an advanced level.... and having done so would find it practically impossible to take the basic premises of, certainly the judaeo-Christianity of the bible, seriously.

Islam is a little trickier as Muslim theologians tend to dissolve arguments from the problem of evil straight away, which together with free will is the first hurdle for a thiest to jump to achieve internal consistency in their belief system.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Patience and love is key, not Tyranny.

Agreed. Which is precisely why anyone who has considered the situation at all deeply wouldn't advocate laws imposing freedom from religion.

We will get there...to the first two I would add education also!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What Diogenesister said.

People in the legal profession tend to be very educated, and the more educated one becomes, the easier one finds deconstructing religious belief.

• bobld
    bobld

Sanchy

If you want to be a lawyer you require an undergraduate degree

plus attend a 3 year law school that is their choice.No one is forcing

you.They would need some extra course in religious studies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit