Name an Amazing or Unexpected Fact

by Simon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I saw this on Twitter the other day and it blew my mind.

Tyrannosaurus is closer to us than to Stegosaurus. That is, when Tyrannosaurus lived, Stegosaurus were already fossilized and those fossils were older than Tyrannosaurus fossils are today to us, by a good 20 million years!

In a similar vein, the Star Wars prequel movies are now older than the original Star Wars movies were when those prequels were released.

How about that we're closer in time to Cleopatra than she was to the Pyramids being built.

What 'ya got?

• minimus
    minimus

How about that I’m still here??

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Mozart wrote a canon in B-flat around 1782, meant to be sung by 6 voices. You can listen to it below.

The title is “Leck mich im Arsch”. We often think of Mozart, and other classical composers, as writing very formal pieces. The title of this work literally translates “Lick me in the ass”. But it probably more accurate to translate it as “Kiss my ass!”

He wrote a couple other dirty songs too.

https://youtu.be/C78HBp-Youk

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

An amazing exercise for someone with a lot of spare time...if you write out the letters (one, two, three etc) your not going to use the letter 'B' until you reach one billion.

If you don't believe me...try it yourself!😊

• waton
    waton

the Earth's circumference is ~ 40 000 000 meters. if you added 16 meters to a rope stretched around it, could a mouse get under it, everywhere? assuming a perfect bald ball, unstretchable rope?

works for th universe too, > 88 billion light years around, the way light flies. ( not counting inflation )

• Mowgliandbalu
    Mowgliandbalu

JW GB: See the beauty of the German Language: Eins, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieBen, ... 😄

• Mowgliandbalu
    Mowgliandbalu

Hi Waton, i think an elephant could make it! 🐘 It's the math ...

• waton
    waton
    Hi Waton, i think an elephant could make it! 🐘 It's the math .

M: yeah, right. thank you! a baby elephant may be. so, a gap of ~ 3m .is created by adding only16 to 40 000 000.!

math, the truth, is. amazingly, no matter how big a sphere, disk, adding only ~ 6.28 feet to the outside , will add a foot to the distance to the center.

By the universe going through one second, moving a second into the future, at light speed, it will add only another 3 or 4 light seconds to its size of 88 billion light years.

That is why I am not worried about the accelerating expansion of the universe

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

It is speculated that Shakespeare assisted with the translation work, or at least the English phrasing, of some of the King James Bible.

Of course spelling was inconsistent in the 16th & 17th centuries. One of the ways Shakespeare wrote his name -was Shakspeare. Break it in syllables, and you have 4 letters (shak), then 6 letters (speare).

Work on the KJV began in 1610, when Shakespeare was 46 years old.

(JW voice) Now turn in your King James bible to Psalm 46. From the beginning, count the words. What is the 46th word? "Shake". Now go to the end of the chapter, and count backward, from the end, 46 words. What word do you find? "Spear".

It's either a 17th century "easter egg" or it's one of the most remarkable coincidences in the history of English literature.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a fact that blows my mind: Jupiter has no hard surface.

We're so used to standing on hard ground on our planet, seeing the sky (atmosphere) above us and seeing the sea (hydrosphere).

But Jupiter is a gas giant - it has no hard distinctions between land, air and sea. There are outer layers of gas, and as you go beneath the surface, thousands of miles down into the planet, the gas gradually becomes compressed or becomes liquid (don't think astronomers are sure).

So, humans can't stand on Jupiter (if our technology allows us to reach the planet).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit