thedepressedsoul - looks like they told you wrong, wonder why? - maybe the BoE in that congregation have decided not to deduct expenses? But that's their own personal decision, WT says expenses can be deducted, as per below...
March 2, 2017 - Re: Broadcast Events Held in Kingdom Halls
7. Accounts: An announcement similar to the following will be made during the broadcast program by the chairman:
“Each of us has an opportunity to share in the joy of making voluntary offerings. Contribution boxes are located at all facilities tied in to this program for those who would like to give financial support to the worldwide preaching work.”
8. Donations placed in the box labeled “Worldwide Work” should be forwarded to the branch office using jworg. Donations placed in the box labeled “Local Congregation Expenses” can be used to cover local expenses incurred during the event. Thereafter, any surplus should be forwarded to the branch office as a donation to the worldwide work.
October 2, 2017 - Re: Contributions Received at the 2017 Annual Meeting
• Please place temporary labels on the contribution boxes so that all boxes are clearly labeled “Worldwide Work.”
• The elders may estimate expenses that were incurred during the use of the Kingdom Hall for the annual meeting and deduct the total from the contributions received. The expenses may include utilities and supplies, but not the purchase or rental of audio/video equipment.
• Please transfer the net contributions to the branch office using the jworg website. The amount should be submitted as a donation to the worldwide work.