Forcing a meaning?

by CitizenofEarth 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Hello there.

I was looking for the word that jwfacts.com used for "forcing a meaning" into ex. a scripture. Fx. the GB forces a meaning into proverbs 4:18. If anyone know that word, or something akin towards it, it would be appreciated.

Greetings

Me

• Tallon
    Tallon

Some possibilities;

• Coerce
    • Influence
    • Impel
    • Drive
  • CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Thank you Tallon. Appreciated.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I'm not sure. Infer? Lloyd Evans also uses the term "superimposes" in reference to the subjective and biased spin that the GB puts on scriptures. I don't know, otherwise.

Paging @jwfacts....

• jp1692
    jp1692

I think the words you are looking for are: Exegesis, Eisegesis, and Hermeneutics

• Exegesis: To interpret a text by way of a thorough analysis of its content.
    • Eisegesis: A process where one leads into study by reading a text on the basis of pre-conceived ideas of its meanings.
    • Hermeneutics: The science of interpretation of a story or text, and the methods used in that science.

Which one does the WTBTS use? Can you tell?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    • Eisegesis: A process where one leads into study by reading a text on the basis of pre-conceived ideas of its meanings.

Clear examples of eisegesis are found throughout the literature of cults. An interesting example of this in Watchtower Society literature is found in their 1988 commentary on Revelation, entitled, “Revelation Its Grand Climax at Hand” where we discover amazing insider information concerning the timing of the seven trumpet blasts outlined in Revelation chapters 8 – 11.

When the sounding of the seven trumpets got under way in 1922, the Bible Student convention at Cedar Point, Ohio, (Rev.8:7) featured a talk by the president of the Watchtower Society, J. F Rutherford, based on the scripture, ”The kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Revelation Its Grand Climax at Hand. p. 172

On the very next page of the same commentary, we get the highlights of when and where all seven trumpets of Revelation began sounding.

1. 1922 Cedar Point, Ohio: A challenge to Christendom's leaders in religion, politics, and big business to justify their failure to bring peace, prosperity, and happiness. Messiah's Kingdom is the panacea.

2. 1923 Los Angeles, California: The public talk, "All Nations Now Marching to Armageddon, but Millions Now Living
    Will Never Die," called on peace-loving "sheep" to abandon the death-dealing sea of humanity.

3. 1924 Columbus, Ohio: Ecclesiastics indicted for self-exaltation and refusal to preach Messiah's Kingdom. True Christians must preach God's vengeance and comfort mourning humanity.

4. 1925 Indianapolis, Indiana: A message of hope contrasting the spiritual darkness in
    Christendom with the bright Kingdom promise of peace, prosperity, health, life, liberty, and eternal happiness.

5. 1926 London, England: A locust-like plaguing of
    Christendom and its clergy, exposing their rejection of God's Kingdom, and hailing the birth of that heavenly government.

6. 1927 Toronto, Canada: An invitation, carried as by armies of cavalry, calling on people to forsake `
    organized Christianity' and give heart allegiance to Jehovah God and to his King and Kingdom.

7. 1928 Detroit, Michigan: A declaration against
    Satan and for Jehovah, making plain that God's anointed King, enthroned in 1914, will destroy Satan's evil organization and emancipate mankind.”

As are all unique doctrines of the WTS, the seven trumpets interpretation, is clearly determined by reading extra-biblical information (i.e. names, dates, places), into the text. This is nothing less than interpretive abuse.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@jp1692 I'll take "eisegesis" for $200, Alex.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Ask any JW to explain Revelation 8 to you. Have him or her read verses 1-2; 6-7

Revelation 8(KJV)

8 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour. 2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.....

6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound. 7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

He or she will put you off by claiming ignorance. Then read from their Revelation book and wait for their reaction. When they plead ignorance...ask:

1. Is it hermeneutically sound to impregnate the scripture with ones own church history and add names and dates and events to the Bible? (Revelation 22:18)

2. Can people make the Bible mean anything they want?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I think impregnate is the word you're looking for?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Pesher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit