JW friends, did you keep any?

by Victorian sky 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Zapper_1
    Zapper_1

Yep. Mr. Kim has it right! You are better off without them.

• Zapper_1
    Zapper_1

Yep. Mr. Kim has it right! You are better off without them.

• Emma
    Emma

Not even one, and I faded away. Several years latter I met a face from the past; she'd DA'd years before and we see other now. She's my "oldest" friend and the connection is sweet. (I was in the org. for decades.)

Emma

• Catren
    Catren

Hello, Victorian Sky, when your friends bring up any JW stuff, do they try to involve you in a discussion about it? If so, how do you respond? Especially if the subject gives you a queasy feeling. I understand that queasy feeling. I've had it myself just at the thought of ever entering a Kingdom Hall again. Do you feel comfortable with gently letting them know you really don't want to get into any conversations about JW issues and situations? Would they respect that? I know that when my sister occasionally brings up the JW 'religion' with me (if we run into each other somewhere), I feel kind of cornered, because she doesn't want to "hear" anything that is 'anti' her religion. So, I feel like I just have to take it. And she is displaying to me how upset she is with me for ever leaving the 'religion' - - and therefore her, also. Not. I'm here for her, but she doesn't want it this way. If I really, really loved her, why then, in her eyes, I would go back. Well, I really, really love her, but I will never go back. No question. Why is it okay for Witnesses to expound away, but we're not 'supposed' to the same ourselves? Especially when we really aren't in any way at all under the authority of the WTBTS as someone so wisely brought up on another forum here. It was like, HEY, yeah, we can talk to anyone we feel like, THEY'RE the ones who aren't supposed to talk to US! It's not the other way around. No way. If it happens again with my sister I am going to gently but firmly let her know that it is a two way street. If she can let me know all her thoughts and feelings about my being an EX-Witness, then I have just as much right to share my thoughts and feelings with her, that, in fact, the organization has no authority over me whatsoever, I can talk to her, it's that she isn't supposed to talk to ME. These people need to get this firmly in their heads. Sorry for going off on a tangent about my sister. You specifically mentioned friends. I have no former Witness friends in this area. Where I used to live I had a few casual friends who were JW's. I don't think that deep down inside I had a problem with having friends who were not Witnesses. All my life I have been painfully shy, so it's never been easy for me to develop friendships, in general, anyway, with Witnesses or "worldly" people. I do have some friends who are "worldly", wonderful friends who mean very, very much to me, and who accept me unconditionally. You have to be who you are. It can be so very stressful trying to keep parts, facets, of who you are hidden from your Witness friends. It could become a great strain on you, become very draining emotionally. My suggestion to you is don't hide any of who you are. True friends will take all of you into their hearts. Really. The whole of you. Shakespeare said (I'm not sure of the exact quote), "This above all things, to thine own self be true". If you don't do this, it will take a lot of joy out of your life. Be who you are. And love every minute of it. Learn more about yourself, and let the butterfly emerge. Enjoy your flight, and soar. Be you. Be yourself, your very own self.

• shamus
    shamus

Is it ok if I respond here to your question, Catren?

My friends and I never talk about "the truth".... even though they are still in. They are what you call "bad assosiation" and are only in b/c of parents / family. It is no big deal for them that I am an unrepentantly inactive.... and they never discuss it. They just don't care.

The other thing is if I was DA'd or DF'd they would probably not even ask nor care if I was, b/c they live so far away from my "home congregation".

• wednesday
    wednesday

I have 2 good friends and one that calls to encourge me, and a fair number that still speak to me if we were to bump into each other. The reason? I have told none of them how i feel. Well i told one that i was not going to go back to the meeting, and she was ok, just thinks i am so sick i do not know what i am saying.. Actually, one friend in another state, if i told her, she would probaby feel the same way. Some think i am 'bitter' but most chalk it up to being ill. No one calls on us elderwise , however.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I guess I could rephrase it, posed to active/practicing JWs:

XJW friends, did you keep any?

None, either way. At least we are agreeable in those regards.

• Disheartened
    Disheartened

Yes, my closest friends are inactive like myself. I actually never got around to DA myself, but I do plan on doing that sometime this year. We basically all see the Watchtower for the twisted organization that it is and when we talk about the old times, it's usually like, "I can't believe we used to do this!!" We all basically left for the same reason, the phoniness, the holier than thou attitude and the overall absurdity of it all. It came as no surprise then, when I found out the Real history of the WT--but that's another post. However, when I see other JW's on the street, they treat me like I have polio, influenza and leprosy and they avoid me like the plague. Funny, when I was going to the KH they didn't mind speaking to me to get a ride in my car or possibly ask for money or other things. But, I am happy without them-what a relief to be free!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit