Are you a conscientious objector if you play violent video games?

by eyeuse2badub 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    "S Korea to investigate whether conscientious objectors played violent video games"
    After a decades-long fight, JW's and other religious groups in S Korea can declare CO and avoid military service. BUT ...
    The government wants to see if they are being real by going back into their past to see if they played violent vid games

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, you can be a conscientious objector and play violent video games.

Playing those games isn't committing violence or going to war.

I'm a big fan of horror films but I still believe murder, rape, etc to be wrong.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Shooting pixels at pixels and shooting bullets into a body, come on, there's an obvious difference there. The Governing Body tried to make that same connection a few episodes back on JW broadcasting by comparing a realistic first-person shooter played online (cough cough Call of Duty) to the gladatorial games of ancient Rome. Same problem: nobody dies when you push buttons on a controller.. well, unless you're the government and you're blowing people up with drones.

• Earnest
    Earnest

This [CNN] story has been updated to correct the spelling of Jehovah.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey,what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander! If the WTB&TS wants to be able to say that the games of CHESS and GO are unchristian because they are games of strategy, then how much more harshly ought a player of violent video games be judged?

Sorry, no sympathy here.

• stillin
    stillin

I would think that a violent video game would be repugnant to a CO. Sure, it's not real and actual. Doesn't the military do a lot of training with digital scenarios? Sorry, it seems two-faced to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit