What if JWs had never been part of your life......?

by Scully 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Prisca's topic about personal responsibility vs blaming the JWs (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/56286/824979/post.ashx#824979) got me to thinking....

• Where do you think you'd be if the JWs and the WTS had never been part of your life?
    • How would your life be different from what it is now?
    • What do you think you might have accomplished or done differently without the encumberances of the JWs in your life?
    • What kind of relationship would you have with your family?
    • Who would you be?

There are no right or wrong answers, but think about those what-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up ideas you had as children and whether those dreams could have become a reality.

Love, Scully

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hmmm, I don't know.

Actually, I don't think about it all that often. I was a witness, and the experience was a lesson I had to learn (in the great plan of things, if there is a great plan of things ) I actually don't regret it, I learned a lot about love, human nature, my own self, trust, abuse when people have power etc etc. I would not change it, if I could.

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• greven
    greven

I wouldn't have been born!

My parents grew up together in our local cong, fell in love and voila! I was their first trick!

Well it actually took them 4 years, breeding perfection takes time you know...

Greven

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

cheeses would not be the loving, caring, forgiving and compassionate person that he is today.

still that emoticon demons are troubling me - have I been banned from using them?

• obiwan
    obiwan

My mother, my sister, and myself would have been beaten even more by my father if we were not jw's. we wouldn't have been able to celebrate christmas anyway cause we were to poor. I would have ran the streets and gotten into alot of trouble and been a bully.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Poor Cheeses and his lack of emoticons... maybe its the browser you are using?

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• teenyuck
  • Where do you think you'd be if the JWs and the WTS had never been part of your life?
  • How would your life be different from what it is now?
  • What do you think you might have accomplished or done differently without the encumberances of the JWs in your life?
  • What kind of relationship would you have with your family?
  • Who would you be?
  • Since I blame the WTS for causing great divides within my family:

I would probably have had no religion....my parents did not go to a certain church and were not a certain faith. I *may* have ended up exactly where I am. However, I think my mom would have been much more tolerant and forgiving of other people's *perceived bad behavior* and thus may not have caused all these deep chasms that exist today.

She may not have cut off her youngest sister, age 19 with two young children, for fornication with a married man; she may not have cut off my sister for fornication with her boyfriend. She may have tried to make her marriage work rather than deciding that since he was spirtually weak, she might as well divorce my father.

With that divorce came hate filled words about my father. We heard he was scum, hated us for not paying child support, left her to whore around, she gave 17 years to a bastard, he married a younger slut just so he could prove he could still get it up....it went on and on.

If my father were home and we were not dubs, I would have done better in school. He was much more strict with my sister and I with grades and doing homework. My mother didn't care. I would have tried harder. I might have learned to trust men at an earlier age. Without field service every Saturday, I could have slept in, worked on homework, done housework and then played.

As for family, it all went south when my mom became a JW. She became sanctimonious, self-rightous (or the dubs brought out the worst of her personality), arrogant and a know-it-all. When her young, unemployed sister needed help, (money, food, etc.) rather than help, she told her she was a whore for having an older man support her (for sex) and my mother would not associate with her until she stopped living in sin. Period.

I am sure I would have a relationship with my aunts and cousins. My aunts are like my mother. However, without the dubs, they are nice and fun. When they put the dub hat on they become like my mother. My mom convinced them all to do *in home bible studies*....she is also the reason they are dubs. Monkey see, Monkey do.

My father's family would not have cut us off. When we stopped celebrating holidays and my mother refused to go to her MIL because they drank and smoked (it was the 60's), she cut us off from our grand-parents. I saw them, maybe 3-5 times over the next 15 years before they died. My dad's family is quite large and extended. His mother's family is huge and lots of second cousins I recall meeting as a child and then, never again. They were *worldly*, thus bad associations.

I would be me....only a much more mild, soft, probably liberal version. I would know more about inter-personal relationships (from having them as a child) and how to act in social situations. I would understand politics and other religions better because I would have looked into them much harder.

OTOH, I would not have found this board, with all these wonderful, smart, witty people. I would have thought you were all nutty cult members!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Well, let's see. I haven't associated with Jws since 1966, but I can't say I'm the worse off from it. Don't really miss them. I've got a whole new set of friends.

• Amazing
    Amazing

I can only dream about it ...

• minimus
    minimus

I'd be crusading against the Catholics.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit