Banned from the second school!

by purrpurr 34 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I've been told by a jw friend that when her hall recently had a refurb that big changes were made to the second school.

One, a large sign has been placed on the door telling people not to use it and to sit in the main hall itself.

Two,that all the chairs which used to face the large windows looking into the main hall are now side on to the window facing the wall instead.

This is because "so many people were sitting out in there! People were finding all manner of exhuses to sit-in there and the brothers want us to all be together in the main hall!" She said.

Of course I didn't tell her what I really thought of this but seriously? What harm can it do to have some people sitting in the second school if they want to? Has anyone else encountered this level of control? What do you think is the reason behind it?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    they never liked me sitting there
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I used to purposely sit there towards the end and face the library so I could pick a particular old book to read and select the amount of false prophecies in it, it was about the time I was marked and my raised hand ignored
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Control issues.

The need to make sure people were paying attention.

The society apparently never believed that a beautiful view could be spiritually nourishing.

No day dreaming.

No seeing what you were actually missing.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Because they want those with small children to torment their kids in the main auditorium trying to keep them unnaturally quiet for 2 hours straight, and if they aren't, they want to enjoy the opportunity to sneer at them.
  • Cangie
    Cangie

Yes, control...and absolutely no consideration for people's individual comfort, just a "herd mentality." I am not comfortable in crowds...related to claustrophobia,discomfort with heights, and anxiety. So, at assemblies and conventions I always looked for seats either on the end of the row, or seats not too high up in a stadium. So many times, the attendants had roped off entire sections, and got ugly if I requested a more comfortable seat, not even caring to allow me to explain what my issues were. Same at the KH, where they insisted that everyone crowd into seats at the front of the hall, leaving lots of empty seats at the back of the room. (except, of course, when I was attempting to get reinstated---then I was avoided like I had Ebola.)

I had developed a cough, and rather than disturb others around me during the WT study, I went out to the lobby to sit and continue to listen. An attendant came over to me and said I had to go back to the main hall, and in the midst of my explanation, he turned around and ignored me, but not before he questioned how it would look to visitors if they came in and found me sitting there. (???) It seems that the people assigned as attendants just enjoy the sense of power that it fools them into thinking they have, probably above what they have in their everyday lives.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    This is a new directive from the circuit overseer so that the hall looks more full and everyone is paying more attention. Used to be some groups would get together in the back and socialize for most of the meeting. Well, we can't have that now, can we?
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Depending on the days, I would use the second hall anytime I felt that my kids were being to disruptive. Every once in a while, a brother would walk in and advise me to go back to the main hall. Then I'd say, jokingly: Oh boy, I'd love that. If only I could, believe me I would." Once, a brother was insistent and asked me why.... I told him: "I already lost too much of my program by now. Can't we talk about that later?"

Also, I remember, one of the last Circuit Assembly, I was outraged to see that brothers were walking around with "Take Your Seats" posters 10 minutes before the musical program. Within minutes, everyone were sitting at their chair and the music hadn't even started yet! I was pissed cause what's the point of going to a convention if it is not to talk with friends?

• Ringo
    Ringo

Has anyone else encountered this level of control?

Yes. I had many tell me that when they came into the hall that they felt unwelcome because the double doors into the main auditorium were quickly closed, so they would sit back there. I used to just so I wouldn't have to put up with the whining, ill-behaved kids. then there were the children, but that's another story.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JW Elders are on a power and control trip, having people sit in a back hall means they cant always watch over their flock, this obviously doesn't sit well with some elders .

Directing people to not use the second room is in essence re-asserting their power and control.

Sometimes people (kids) who do use it do so to goof around, talk and not really pay attention to whats being said at the front hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit