How to survive an assembly

by BlackWolf 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Warren Wilson
    Warren Wilson
    At assemblies and meetings I used to spend most of my time asleep,wake up for a song then straight back to bye byes.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Counting was how I survived. I used to count things such as the holes in the acoustic tiles on the ceiling .

A girl in our Hall used to hide a transistor radio in her coat and run a earphone behind her long hair and listen to music during the meeting. It was hilarious when she finally got caught. Her trashy, fake leopard skin wearing, leather skirt clad Mother suddenly stopped filing her nails, smacked her daughter in the back of the head and yanked the earphone out of her ear. It was classic LOL !

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Probably the best way would be to bring a tablet and read something interesting on it , people will think your reading JWorg. or some other WTS. digital WTS literature

• Simon
    Simon
    I used to have a ye-olde Compaq iPaq. My elder-wannabe brother-in-law made a big deal of the fact that he saw me "distracting myself with non-meeting stuff". I showed him it was to do with the meeting because I had the elders-manual downloaded on it. His head nearly exploded.
  • One_day
    One_day

I have creative mind, always designing and engineering things in my head. Because the talks are so repetitive and mostly boring speakers, I had this ability to suddenly hear if something new or interesting was said.

Believe it or not, my best thoughts/ideas came to me during the meetings. I think the atmosphere gave me clarity of thought.

I'd do a thumbnail sketch on the edge of the Watchtower or something to keep the idea. My wife would give me a frown and a little disapproving shake of the head.

But she is delicious and her heart was broken when I was disfellowshiped for taking a stand against an elder who is a known compulsive liar. Now she is waiting for these wicked men and the org they represent to meet their deserved fate.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

What would really happen if you just refused to go on the basis going there makes you feel very bad.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    When I was fading, I was fortunate to be able to get a room at the hotel where our convention was held. I pretended that I had duties & stayed upstairs for extended periods, only returning to the convention hall towards the end of the programme ;)
  • Syme
    Syme

1) Don't go at all.

2) If you do go, stay outside the main hall, at least half of the time. Many do it. Some are tired, sleepy, others have a headache, small children, some clean the toilets or the outside area. If you can do (or pretend) any of these, you can stay out as long as you like.

P.S. The first assembly I missed, I had an awful (and long) pain in the stomach, and so I couldn't go. It was not a pretense, it was actually because of the assembly (having "woken up"). The problem was so severe (and continuing), that I had to take strong antibiotics. The thing is, we should watch over our health foremost, instead of pleasing others.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

they day before-----eat lots of beans and eggs.

on the day drink plenty of fizzy drinks.

count how often you fart.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ BlackWolf

When I was living with my parents (until I was 19) - I always thought, that they force me to go meetings/field service/ assemblies and to be a JW.

Now my mother says to me, that she never ever forced me to do anything,

Also she says, that all the JW-activities are my own desire, also my wish to be baptised with 15 years.

Every time, when I replay, that she forced me to do so - she denies.

In my country, children arrived the age of 14 years - have the freedom to choose there religion. With 14 you are not forced to go in school to religious instruction.

Why I am writing these experiences of my life?

Maybe you just have to say NO to your parents.
    Maybe you just have to say NO - I don't want to go this weekend to the assembly.

I don't know your age - but maybe your parents are grateful - that you are honest with them.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit