The definition of a false prophet

by HereIgo 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

The last time I spoke to my mother, who is a devout JW, she threatened me with typical JW scare tactics telling me how oh so close the end is and how me and my 2 young daughters will be slaughtered by God himself in Armageddon. Knowing that this is just a scare tactic, I respectfully listened, then replied that the JW's have wrongfully predicted the end of the world three times and were incorrect, 1914, 1925, 1975. I asked doesn't that make them false prophets? Her response; " No, because the brothers are imperfect and Jehovah knew their heart was in a sincere place. He revealed the truth to the brothers at the right time."I was speechless at this point because that response made zero sense to me. How could a perfect God be wrong three times? I replied just because a person says they are God's mouthpiece doesn't make it so. I could walk around saying I'm a millionaire all day long, doesn't mean its true as much as I'd like it to be. She then referred me to the elders for answers to my questions. I'm not interested. Anyway, didn't Jesus warn against such ones? Is not foretelling events that never happen in God's name not constitute false prophecy? Matthew 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

• bennyk
    bennyk

The Watch Tower Society has been pounding the "deliverance-at-hand" drum since 1880.

(an olde threade possibly of interest to "newbies": continually-pounding-deliverance-hand-drum )

• prologos
    prologos

well, I hope they are false, and failed prophets indeed. for : in the Kingdom Rules book they are currently studying, page 228, paragraph 16 wt writers give this prophesy:

" --co-rulers with Christ will receive authority-- wielding an iron rod of destruction against all enemies of "god's kingdom", in other words you and I. and

do not hold your breath to see divine vengeance against wolves in sheep clothing, that false prophets really are, - to be executed, because . no other wt, bible threat has ever materialized, except in retrospect.

• Ding
    Ding

Deuteronomy 18:20-22: "“‘If any prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name that I did not command him to speak or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. However, you may say in your heart: “How will we know that Jehovah has not spoken the word?” When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word is not fulfilled or does not come true, then Jehovah did not speak that word. The prophet spoke it presumptuously. You should not fear him.’"

Nothing there about a sincere heart...

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

So, as you search for answers about the false prophecies, she refers you to the false prophets? Oh no.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Publishing House false prophecies turned out be a commercial success.

The core doctrine of the WTS/JWs (1874,1914) of calculating and dating the time of Jesus taking of his position in heaven, was directly against Jesus's own teachings of no one knowing the time and admonishing his true followers to make a time upon god's own sacred time.

Therefore Jws have been devoted and loyal to the Watchtower Corporation, its leading men, rather than Jehovah.

• schnell
    schnell

I get this kind of response too. Simple logic is outweighed by the paradise earth and resurrection and not wanting to admit they've been duped.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Herelgo, my impression is that for as long as the conversations continue, there's hope for some kind of awareness. I mean, she hasn't fully shunned you in spite of you taking a completely open and clear stance against what she considers super sacred. To me that's a good sign, even if all what comes from her mouth is nonsense.

I hope there's something more past her JW nonsense.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

If you think that you are never going to die, then you are a good JW and you will believe anything..

Logic, reason and common sense had obviously been left behind long ago.

When JWs come to my door now, I ask 'why would I seek biblical knowledge from an organization that has been around less than 150 years?'

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Ummmm...why would God kill your two young daughters? You I can understand. (You're just an old worldly apostate.)

But what's the thinking on killing your daughters?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit