A Growing Problem for Materialists

by Sea Breeze 70 Replies latest social current

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

The famous double-slit experiment proves that light travels both in individual particles called photons and also as a mathematical probability wave. Matter itself exhibits this particle-wave duality which allows objects to exist in two different places at the same time, depending on whether of not you are looking (testing) at it.

Scientists have recently been able to get molecules as large as 2000 atoms to exhibit this duality!

What is quite interesting is the results of a recent survey :

A recent survey of quantum physics instructors at the University of Colorado and elsewhere all of whom use quantum mechanics in their research found that 30% of those surveyed thought of the wave function as a physical matter wave, while nearly half preferred to view the wave function as containing information only - Article

Wow, this is huge! The most fundamental element of our universe is information!

Why are all protons and electrons identical to each other? Because they are all from the same information mold regardless of substance. When you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Where did this information come from? The origin of information is a big problem for materialists.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MNSLsjjdo

It's pretty mind blowing to say the least.

• waton
    waton
    all protons and electrons identical to each other? --------regardless of substance. SB

is it not the numbers of protons in the nucleus, and number of electrons in an atom that determines a substance?

But you are right, everything carries information, even gravity, and it's waves, travelling at the speed of light.

• Magnum
    Magnum

It is fascinating and intriguing. As for the implications, I don't know, but I'm keeping an open mind.

• cofty
    cofty

'Information' in this context is a metaphor. You are committing a category error.

Please define what you mean by 'materialists'. If you simply mean that there is no such thing as an omnipotent god holding the strings then count me in.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I believe a materialist is one who upholds the credo of science - "If it cannot be measured it does not exist."

When one introduces an idea with evidence that goes outside the credo, those who uphold it simply raise the bar of evidence required for proof.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The origin of information is a big problem for materialists.

Why ? new found discoveries happen due to exploratory investigation, what was assumed can easily be changed and accepted until new discoveries come forward.

Spiritualist have even more a problem for they have nothing as a basis to evaluate their proclamations from out of their imaginary theories.

• waton
    waton

The problem with the term materialist is, that matter or material is just a particular, solid form of energy.

Energy has been proven to be not destructible, only transformable, hence is even uncreated, therefore must have existed before the Big Bang., along with time, the first or 4st dimension.

just because our instruments do not reach, or receive information from that era, or our 3-4D brains can not "picture" it, does not mean it is not factual.

The quark / quantum conundrums just shows the frontiers of knowledge we have to expand, and

if there is a creator (not god) obviously set up to explore

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

To uphold intellectual honesty there has to be a position of we dont know and this also holds true in proclaiming the origin of how the universe came to be .

Even energy has to have an origin of its existence.

• cofty
    cofty
    I believe a materialist is one who upholds the credo of science - "If it cannot be measured it does not exist."

I've never encountered a single person who believes that. It is certainly not 'the credo if science'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit