This thread is for proof that God exists

by juandefiero 375 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin
    Only 7% of members of the American National Academy of Scientists believe in god.

Your graph shows that 33% of Scientists "Who believe in God", and 7% "Don't know/Refused (VOL.)", or am I reading it wrong. (I read a lot, but don't comment - I know, hard to believe.) I'm just giving you a heads-up.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    Convolution knows no bounds in the unsettled personality,
  • talesin
    talesin

It's hard for me to believe that any scientist believes in g-d. Does . not . compute.

• cofty
    cofty
    Scientists do not "understand reality better" than other people. This is your fundamental error - SBF

Scientists are also normal humans just like the rest of the population.

In addition they also have the knowledge that science adds to their everyday experience.

It isn't an either-or. That is your "fundamental error".

With that combination of life experience we all have PLUS their knowledge of science, scientists are far less likely to believe in god.

Among the NAS that figure is only 7%.

• cofty
    cofty
    or am I reading it wrong. - Talesin

Yes you are. The 7% figure refers to the NAS and comes from a different study

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes different perspectives add to one another. What is problematic is the view that a chemical account of the river Thames is in any meaningful sense more "real" than an historical account for example, or a painting, or whatever other perspective. They are all real. That is why the comment that scientists have "a better understanding of reality" is ignorant and stupid.

• talesin
    talesin
    Yes you are. The 7% figure refers to the NAS and comes from a different study.

Okayyyy..... that is no explanation, not how the bar graph reads, but I have no horse in this race.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Here's another done again by the Pew Research group that show 51% of scientists believe in God. So there's that.

This is from the LA Times. Shows the same that 51% belive in a higher power or some sort of God.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/24/opinion/la-oe-masci24-2009nov24

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I read in Steve Bruce's books somewhere that anthropologists and psychiatrists have the lowest rates of belief in God. From that perspective, it seems, the closer you get to studying humans in all their frailties the less you believe in God.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Intersting article. Chemists seem to believe in God the most for some strange reason.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~ehe/doc/Ecklund_SocialProblems_54_2.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit