Do You Believe The News Media Is Trustworthy?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Recently a friend and I were having a conversation about the news media. He is a Democrat but he’s also a very reasonable person. I’ve known him for many years. He said whether you watch CNN , Fox or any other news agency they all tell the truth. You just have to learn what appeals to you.

Do you trust what you read or see on the news??

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

Do you trust what you read or see on the news??

As much as I trust the Governing Body!!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

Good one

• Simon
    Simon

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

- Mark Twain

Broadcast media has lost all trust because they have been caught lying and propagandizing - they are too often acting as activists, not journalists. The way they often flip flop employment between political campaigns and broadcasters doesn't make you think they are unbiased and impartial.

Online media was killing them but is now suspect because of platform bias.

• minimus
    minimus

It’s too bad that so called objective sites like Wikipedia or Snopes can pass on faulty material.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I don’t see how it’s possible to trust mainstream sources. The other day the New York Times published a pro-Trump article headline: “Trump Urges Unity vs. Racism”. It should be noted that the headline is a purely factual headline. But the left couldn’t handle it, and instead of sticking to the purely factual headline, they revised it to a more partisan title (leaning left, of course).

This pattern has been replayed over and over again. With more individual commentators getting involved online, these dinosaur news agencies are fact-checked real time. And it’s destroying them. And it should destroy them.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

I definitely agree with Simon on this one.

So many times things are just twisted to give us a different perspective of the real reality.

Do you know about the case of the singer Cliff Richard?

Publicised by the BBC and totally wrong, the poor guy had to fight to proof his innocence as he was accused of being a rapist.

In the end after the BBC trashed this man’s name, he took the BBC to court and won... in his interview he said that if he was the common man and not financially secure, that would have been impossible to clear his name as he would’ve be forever branded with something that he really didn’t commit.

So no... I hear the media and then make up my own mind.

In the joke side... maybe Mr Trump is onto something with his “fake news” disposition 😆

• minimus
    minimus

But the BBC is highly respected. It can’t be true!

• LV101
    LV101

You have to wait until all the info is out to ascertain facts/evidence. It's lots of work for the few credible journalists/pundits/hosts but their reputation is on the line and they've too much to lose. Grim ratings for the fakes.

Check out all the media geniuses that were on Obama's payroll - (hundreds) on and on and on. Quite a taxpayer funding operation.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

that’s what most people are led to think.....unfortunately.

I would like to be a little fly on them walls 🤔

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit