Latest UPDATE UK Charity Commission investigation

by darkspilver 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Latest UPDATE from 18 July 2016

Good afternoon,

I am writing to give you a quick update about our ongoing statutory inquiries into safeguarding and charities linked to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

As you may know, one of our inquiries is into Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Britain. We opened this inquiry in 2014. Watch Tower then initiated what turned out to be protracted litigation against us. We have robustly defended our position. We were right to open the inquiry. We have won our case in every court that has heard the matter, most recently in the Court of Appeal. Watch Tower then decided to try to appeal to the Supreme Court. I am pleased to tell you that I have learned today that the Supreme Court has rejected their application. This means that there are no more domestic routes of appeal open to Watch Tower. We are therefore going to be doing what we have been doing since 2014, which is continuing with our inquiries.

A huge thank you to those of you who have met with me, Nick and Chris over the past few months to share your stories with us in person; and thank you also to everyone who has emailed or who has spoken to us on the phone. There is more work to do but the court ruling is an important milestone.

Please let me know if you would no longer like to receive these occasional updates.

Take care,

Jonathan.

Jonathan Sanders

Senior Investigator

t: 0300 065 2075 | e: [email protected] | w: www.gov.uk/charity-commission

Sounds like this is what is only now being reported in The Guardian - and I suppose Third Sector picked it up from the Guardian today?

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5296748482265088/article-respected-uk-newspaper-guardian-mishandling-sexual-abuse

Why has the Guardian only reported it today?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I Fantastic news, read the guardian piece earlier today. WT is the only charity that has fought such an extensive and protracted campaign against the commission. Shameful. They are making quite a name for themselves worldwide. I like the way it mentions that many big corporations have come under investigation due to their poor handling of child protection issues - mentioning the BBC, The Church of England, The Catholic Church etc then of course the Watchtower.....and if that doesn't give the message to the Witnesses that they are just like all the other " worldly" organisation riddled with corruption and problems I don't know what will.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    darspilver: Why has the Guardian only reported it today?

...ummm...good journalism takes time, manpower and the stories generated by that commitment bow to precedent?

Sorry, darspilver...your personal concerns about the WTS do not sit at the center of the universe

You sound like you have been spoiled by the speed of the digital world. Good journalism still requires human beings to make it function and relies on solid research (time)

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

...ummm...good journalism takes time, manpower and the stories generated by that commitment bow to precedent?

yes

ah, er, ummm .... and money

https://contribute.theguardian.com/

anyone? yes? no? will do?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The piece practically screams, "Hey Watchtower! What are you trying to hide?!"

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I find myself getting impatient with the media at times. For instance, why is there no update about the WTBTS's $4000.00 USD per day penalties? The next hearing was supposedly at the beginning of August! WTH??

Well, what if JWSurvey ran the story prematurely, and their facts were not facts at all? All J-dumbs would have a field day; pointing and judging "opposers." So, it takes time.

Also, it's a big world. Exdubs and faders feel very strongly that WTBTS news should be everywhere, but some people ( majority ) don't care. They don't know about JWism, and they don't care.

As far as donating to the Guardian...so what?? Public Television has regular pledge drives in my area. They have some great programming, and great news items. That takes money.

I have no problem with organizations asking for money. I don't like secretive groups who want my $$$, but won't show me where it goes.

DD

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Print newspapers are a dying breed-they will need other funding because the digital world has changed the face of journalism forever. About 9 years ago I lost a job in the newspaper industry as I was edged out by electronic proofs that made my boss's job much less personnel intensive and she could take on more of my pre-proofs job. . . which was bogus. I really loved working at the newspaper.:( It turns out that my entire department (originally 6 people) was eliminated ultimately, other than the supervisor.

Printing is a business and any of you watching the WTBTS saga with the electronic age knows that internet is edging out the literal printed word in a very real way. If you look at electronic news-even "real" sites like the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Guardian---the spelling and grammar is a disgrace to journalism. It has changed our world.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    jwdaughter: It has changed our world

Yes, in large ways

Speed is the digital god and the faster information travels, the more currency it generates...and the shallower our information becomes

I don't mind waiting

For detailed, accurate reporting. It is worth it

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hey JWdaughter

I really loved working at the newspaper.... If you look at electronic news-even "real" sites like the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Guardian---the spelling and grammar is a disgrace to journalism.

haha hence the Guardian's nickname -The Grauniad

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grauniad

oh, and it's always fascinating flipping thru a 'style guide'

https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-j

The Watchtower Style Guide:

https://www.scribd.com/embeds/230761396/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-dhOCvkDoWxSdqwOlnZ4A&show_recomm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit