Community Outside of a Religious Setting

by What Now? 13 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Secular clubs are one thing, but their are secular groups that have a specific goal in mind. That usually makes people like minded enough.

I always felt more accepted in groups outside the organization, but that is because my entire adult life while in the organization I was secretly being shunned and had no clue.

Right after high school I joined a local chapter of an international Star Trek club. We did a lot of charitable work. We volunteered to work at Star Trek conventions. We had parties and BBQs. It was great.

I'm highly active in local and statewide groups that advocate for my chosen profession. This involves charitable work and other enjoyable activities.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I found a traditional church family home and from it have everything that was good about JW's and none of the bad. But it sounds like you want very non traditional! Lisarose recommended the UCC and that is a good one, but if you don't want to do the Jesus thing, I recommend the UU's....Unitarian Universalists. They are really liberal and family oriented and teach values. What is "right" is multidirectional...There are some amongst them who are Christians, Jews, spiritualists...you name it....they don't consider any way the only way. They are the opposite of judgmental and sort of hippie and fun. We go to some UU stuff and always end up hearing or being involved in deep philosophical or political or scientific discussions. These aren't shallow people, they love to think and think openly. I think you may enjoy them.

• A Ha
    A Ha

I've never gone to one of their services, but many people I've spoken to recommend Unitarian Universalism for non-religious people looking for spirituality and/or community.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've been involved in a number of groups since I left. Find a group in your area that you're interested in. It shouldn't have to be religious, in fact, those are often the worst groups. There is meetup.com as a starter but many cities will also have listings of groups that get together elsewhere.

What have you always been interested in? Music, cooking, computers, ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit