Scientology, FLDS, jws what's the difference?

by Ghiagirl 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ghiagirl
    Ghiagirl
    There isn't really! I feel a little better I didn't believe in polygamy or that a volcano erupted and we flew out of them and came down to the earth or whatever scientologists believe. But at the same time all 3 groups have the same cult qualities. Anyone who doesn't believe is called an apostate, members get shunned whether it's disfellowshipping or disconnecting. Everyone is shielded from reality, no reading outside of organizations literature or books. I know a lot saw the Scientology documentary I forgot what it's called but recently prophets prey has been playing on showtime about the FLDS. I feel so sick seeing the similarities to the jws. How does no one see! Even the creepy songs sound the same!!!!! I recommend watching it for those who haven't seen it. Feeling so thankful to be awake, sometimes it can be easier to not know ttat, but really I'm so much happier now!!!
  • stephanie61092
    stephanie61092
    The documentary on Scientology is called "Going Clear"
  • Lisbet
    Lisbet

I have been fading for three or four months as I started to finally examine my doubts instead of suppressing them. But I wasn't angry. I realized that I just didn't believe and my plan was to slowly disentangle myself and move on with my life.

Then Friday night I read Combating Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan. That's when I got angry. It was the author's own experiences in the moonies that did it. There were so many parrallels between his experience and mine, there was no way I could deny that the JWs were a cult. It was no longer a matter of my wasting my youth following a well meaning but misguided religion, but that my youth had been stolen from me by a cult.

(Btw, for anyone who's read the book--the part where the author talks about the role of sleep deprivation--did anyone else immediately think of Pioneer School and that we were assigned more homework than we could reasonably study?)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There's a world of difference but it is all so trivial. From what I read, JW's are almost a cult-light in comparison to the others, certainly compared to the fringe Mormon groups that still support polygamy.

JW's don't really have any splinter groups anymore. The Watchtower outlasted them for the most part. But it never managed to be viewed as much "mainstream" as the Mormons. I think the difference is that they encourage college and personal success and they do the big Tabernacle Choir at Christmas.

I was already good at research and searching WT publications and the internet for information when I went to the pioneer school. I also knew I wasn't going to keep going on as a pioneer when I went, so I could see the general thoughts from the homework and I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit