Is the Watchtower's idea of preaching what Jesus had in mind?

by Latin assassin from Manhattan 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

It is only recently that I appreciated what Romans 10:10 ("public declaration for salvation") really meant! The context (beginning with verse 8 and including verse 9) makes it clear that it is not what Witnesses preach, but a public declaration or confession that "Jesus is Lord!" and that he is the resurrected Savior. This is the "public declaration" that leads to salvation. It was right there all the time, but thanks to the Society's obfuscation, I did not see it previously.

To be true to Christianity, Witnesses must become more "evangelical," that is, we must give Christ his due in Jehovah's arrangement. It is passing strange to say that the New Testament was written for the "heavenly class" and then say that most of us are not of that class. If that were the case, surely God would have foreseen that, and provided an addition to the Scripture for our benefit. In the book studies, we are called "strangers" and "foreigners," as if some sort of afterthought in the scenario of salvation. We cannot even claim Jesus as our Mediator, we are as second-class citizens of heaven.

Jesus didn't preach any of that!!!

• mizpah
    mizpah

Ohappyday:

Even as a JW, I always resented the fact that when circuit or district overseers came to the congregation, one's faith was evaluated by the "publisher's record card." A "weak" one was one who did not go out in service regular and make placements of the literature or conduct Bible studies. What foolishness! I remember a dear "sister" in one congregation who told me she just couldn't go from door to door. But if anyone was sick, she was there to help. She sent food to those less fortunate. She contributed generously to the congregation. But she was considered "inactive" and "weak." She probably was a better Chrisitan than most in that Kingdom Hall.

It is clear to me now that the "gifts of men" among early Christians included those who showed kindness and hospitality to others. The ministry had a place in the early church. But it was not the most important element of faith. Like Paul's illustration of the body, every part has a function. And some of the most hidden and obscure parts are the most essential.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit